PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Old Style Chrome Teleflex Helm

Lively-one
06-08-2012, 10:29 PM
The one below is pitted out and too bad to re-chrome..I need/want one in very good shape or one that is not pitted out that can be re-plated. ablively@att.net or post info here. Thank you!

Conquistador_del_mar
06-09-2012, 12:19 AM
You might be surprised at having yours rechromed. Mine turned out very well and was pitted, but not horribly. You might see about buying a new white one and seeing if a chrome shop can do their magic on it - I would think they could - :yes: Bill

Lively-one
06-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Bill, why don't you just send me all those chunks of deck bling then I do'nt have to worry about it...:biggrin.:

But seriously, thank you for the helpful advice!

Bobby D
06-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Bill is correct do a search on chrome plating several members have use a guy in Ohio with very good results, prices are very reasonable as well. Also find a guy who restores automobile steering wheels I restored my steering wheel about 6 years ago and it looks better than new. Good luck with the project

Ghost
06-10-2012, 10:16 AM
I *think* the aforementioned shop in Ohio is http://www.alspolishing.com/

If so, I recommend calling rather than emailing.

Inferno
06-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I think I have what you want...$500.00 to you is a great deal, as I'm building a boat that's putting a hole in my pocket. Your lucky as I was going to throw it out... Call me.

silverghost
06-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Why not buy a brand new & cheap two piece painted pot metal Teleflex Big "T" helm bezel; and have your chrome plater remove the paint and tripple metal plate & chrome it?
This way you, and your plater, would not have to deal with all the pitting issues that comes with old pitted junk pot metal parts ?
It's not easy , nor very cheap, to have a plater fill-in all those old pits & before plating the pot metal castings.
First you must grind & buff-off off all the old plating, Then copper plate the pot metal castings for proper solder bonding. Then you must silver solder in all those old pits and buff & sand out the casting..
Finally you must copper plate the casting for a good bond, then nickel plate the casting for proper corrosion resistance, & finally chrome plate the castings.
I have had this professionally done many times on old Antique car pot metal trim parts that were impossible to find today new (New Old Stock or Reproduction).
The Pit filling & restoration along with the plating prices were very costly indeed !
My Point ?
Why fool around with old pitted pot metal parts when you can have new pot metal casting parts plated far easier ?

Inferno
06-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Nothing is better than FREE !!!! Call me and I'll bring it to Chatt....:yes:

biggiefl
06-25-2012, 11:57 PM
I'll buy it for free plus shipping since it has been 15 days.

pipnit
06-29-2012, 12:07 AM
This is the spot! VERY reasonably priced, very experienced, good turn around time, good service.

Al's Polishing Shop Inc
1615 West Laskey Road Toledo, OH 43612
(419) 476-8857

BTW, I probably have a helm for ya too, not sure how much better or worse it would be than yours.

Lively-one
06-29-2012, 09:59 PM
So sorry that I was so unresponsive to the above posts...I sometimes lose these older threads. Thank you everyone for the responses and offers:).

Pipnit, thank you for the info but I found a decent plating shop around here closer to home. I may still call these guys you suggested though, in case they offer a better deal...but then there's shipping to factor in to.