PDA

View Full Version : OMC Transom seals

Beechjetflyer
06-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Has anyone replaced these? Does the engine need to be removed or can they be replaced from the outside?

John C in PA
06-02-2012, 05:27 PM
The mechanic had to pull the motor :garfield: to replace my leaking transom seal. '92 Sweet 16 with 302 and Cobra drive. YMMV, so post the boat info and maybe others have different replies.

John C

Beechjetflyer
06-02-2012, 06:01 PM
It's a 1989 Z25...

Beechjetflyer
06-02-2012, 11:01 PM
What happened was I put it in the water. I visually looked to make sure nothing was leaking. I took it out for it's test run and upon returning the bilge pump was running, I opened the hatch to see water coming in around the transom. Pulled it out, put it on the trailer, while on the trailer, it was coming back out around the transom. Took it home and after posting my original post, I thought maybe I would just check the bolts. They were loose. The bottom 2 around the center of the transom assembly were so loose, that the washers were flopping around.....weird. Going to tighten them per sequence tomorrow then seen what happens...

Beechjetflyer
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
That was it! :garfield: Currently pulling the motor and outdrive, anyone had to do a transom on one of these? It sounds like its hollow about halfway up. Any tips would be much appreciated!!

gcarter
06-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Donzigo redid the transom on his Z-33 several years ago, also a pair of new 496's and outdrives.
;He should be able to help you.

Beechjetflyer
06-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Has anyone done this? The engine bay is not very wide, have to obviously do the tilt with the motor. Did you leave the coupler unit on or remove it? Remove anything else?

Beechjetflyer
06-07-2012, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

...yep...been workin on boats for 30 years. Built a sailboat in the 70's. Just never pulled the motor on this specific boat. One thing I've learned is that advice from others experience is invaluable....

yembo77
09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
SO? I'm interested in how this went. The pulling of the motor and transom work. I'll probably be doing a lot of the same work if I pull the trigger on the boat I'm looking at, but I have a good friend to help me. Well, hope to hear how all things went, but also mainly some specifics on pulling the motor in a Z25. Anyone have any good references for OMC?

Thanks,
Matt