PDA

View Full Version : Need confirmation of Deadrise on Hornet & Baby 14

Rob M
06-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Shout out to Matty and Bert....

I'm having trailers built and need to confirm the deadrise on the Hornet (I believe the DR is 19) and Baby 14 hulls. You gents happen to know?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

mattyboy
06-01-2012, 11:16 AM
I'll be around the boat all day tom. So I can measure for you

The hornet had short inner strakes and a rounded keel. 19 was the number I heard too

The baby has full length inner strakes and a sharp keel like the barrelback 24 was the number I heard. Maybe Bert can confirm

Morgan's Cloud
06-01-2012, 08:23 PM
The sharpest V I've ever heard of was around 28 deg and seeing it came AFTER Don A had determined with his talented team of developers and a ton of money that 24deg was the optimal number I'm surprised it was even built .

I think you'll end up finding that it's between 19 and 24 deg .

Greg Guimond
06-02-2012, 07:11 AM
If I am not mistaken the old school Sutphens carry a 25 degree deadrise and that is the steepest in a "modern" go fast.

mattyboy
06-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Rob yours is a Hornet ( 2+3 19 feet ) the Hornet went thru some changes over it's lifetime the Hornet II went to 20 feet and supposedly a steeper 22 degree deadrise the inner strake was lengthened to end around 2 feet from the transom, the hornet III went to 21 feet with the same style bottom.

Donzi re-worked some of the bottoms in the late 60's early 70's they did the lengthening of the strakes on the 16 as well . I am wondering were your inner strakes are?

BOT once the rain stops here I'll get out and measure.

seabuddy
06-02-2012, 07:55 AM
I thought that the Nova 24 had a 25 degree bottom.

gcarter
06-02-2012, 08:10 AM
"The sharpest V I've ever heard of was around 28 deg and seeing it came AFTER Don A had determined with his talented team of developers and a ton of money that 24deg was the optimal number I'm surprised it was even built ."

Sonny Levi built two or three race boats in the 28*-30* range....it seems to have been all the rage in the mid to late '60's.
None were successful.
It's very easy to look back from this point in time and say "What were they thinking?"

mattyboy
06-02-2012, 08:18 AM
I want you all to know i got all the way thru college and didn't break the wrapper off my protractor it never left my book bag . I put two kids thru college and thru their elementary school days you couldn't swing a dead cat in the air in my house with out hitting a protractor. Do you think I can find one today ?????
Guess i am off to the stationary store to buy one LOL

Rob M
06-02-2012, 08:31 AM
MB and Bert,

Thanks, you guys are the best.

Both boats are several hours away, or I would try to check on my own. Based on pics I have, the 14 has a very sharp keel and outer and inner strakes running full length. The Hornet looks to have the outer strakes stopping 18 inches from the transom. Hard to see inner steamed. Boat has a more rounded keel at the stern.

Will try to post these pics.

Rob

Rob M
06-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Corrected - after looking at pics of Hornet, one full strake on outside edge running all the way to the stern. One much shorter inner strake stopping well short of the stern.

Here's some pics showing strakes and deadrise on both boats.

mattyboy
06-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Rob

I got approx 20 degrees at the transom on the benchseat the front is much steeper it shallows as it goes back. same hull bottom as mine, short inner strake

Morgan's Cloud
06-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Just to clarify .. so Seabuddy , Greg and George don't think I'm a space cadet or can't read properly .. lol

After I posted my response (post 4) bert edited his post (post 3) removing the part that said he had used a protractor and had come up with a rough figure of 39deg.

Anyone who came on after that would have not seen that and may have wondered why I appeared to go off on the tangent (no pun) that I did .

I'm aware of the others who experimented with steeper deadrises , George's response , and the Nova and Sutphen.
Harry Schoell also did a special sport boat for Seabird back in the late 60's (the Stiletto) that had a 26 deg hull.
But it seems that DA had already determined that 24 max was the best all around number. Strangely , Ray Hunt's 24 foot prototype that started it all was also a 24 deg hull , and that came a good few years before Don got started.

The Hornet bottom is , of course, a 'warped hull' not a constant deadrise so building a custom trailer will have a few extra challenges .

SamIam
06-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Rob,
I will check mine tonight.
PM me, I have info/phone # on a NOS Mercruiser Renualt motor-complete.

Rob M
06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Bert and MB,

Thanks for taking time to check. And thanks to everyone else for input also.

SamIam: PM on the way.

Rob