PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a Donzi...PLEASE HELP!!!

bad-influence
05-29-2012, 04:19 PM
1996 Medallion 212:
I know it's not a go fast but does anyone know about them or can tell me about it? I'm looking at a '96 with low hours, 350, alpha 1 and open bow. I would say the hull is fair-average condition and drive and motor is good! I know who maintained the drive and motor. It has sat for a few years and hasn't been used and I have a chance to buy it. I already have a go fast and thought if the price was right, it would be good to entertain family and friends so I don't have to worry about my other boat getting spills or scratches. Is 5 too much for the boat on a tandem trailer? I will offer less, just trying to see what it is really worth if I have to put money into it and sell. What would a ballpark price be to consinder the price a steal? I think it just needs a real good cleaning but haven't uncovered it yet.

Anything I should be aware of or to look for when I look at it? Any and all info is welcomed! It's not the ideal boat that I wanted to entertain with but I think I can get it at the ideal price or better!!!

thanks in advance!

bad-influence
05-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I should add that I consider the hull fair/average because of how anal I am with my boat and that the owners never really showed that much caution around the docks. Now I'm not saying its got holes in the hull, it just has the some dock rash.

thanks again!

bad-influence
05-30-2012, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply! I haven't looked at the boat yet, I just know that the owners were not as careful around the docks as I would be but I know it wasn't abused and I know for sure the motor and drive wasn't abused. I know the owners and I'm friends with the mechanic so that's why I'm not worried about it...I just don't know anything about this boat in general. I'm trying to figure out what it way be worth so I know where to put my price on it. The boat is not being used anymore and the owners by no means need the money...I would almost be doing them a favor. I just need to figure out a price low enough to leave me room not to lose if I need to sell in a year or two.
Thanks!

Carl C
05-30-2012, 05:55 AM
There are too many variables and unknowns to answer your question IMO. Did it sit outside or in a garage? Big difference. Even if it was covered outside you have the issue of condensation at night and high humidity during the day when the sun hits it. We don't even know if it runs after sitting for a "few" years. If you are going to buy it in this unknown condition then I wouldn't offer more than $2,000. If the owner can show you that it is water ready (water test), and the interior is not rotted or cracked and the boat seems dry and solid inside maybe $3,500 tops. That is all JMO.

bad-influence
06-01-2012, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

$3000-$3500 is what I was thinking too. Do you think that would be a great buy or just the average price for that boat? I'm really into boats but know nothing about this line of donzi. I heard that for a few years they tried making a cheaper boat to attract a different segment? To me this looks like the quality of a bayliner with donzi stickers...any truth to this? It surely doesn't look like the quality that donzi is known for.

Thanks again for any help!

Carl C
06-01-2012, 09:04 AM
"I heard that for a few years they tried making a cheaper boat to attract a different segment? To me this looks like the quality of a bayliner with donzi stickers...any truth to this? It surely doesn't look like the quality that donzi is known for."

IMO that sums it up nicely! The brochure called it "the affordable family Donzi".

RickSE
06-01-2012, 10:38 AM
The newer (1998+) Donzi 20Z & 22Z are another good alternative. The model line only lasted a few years but they are good quality boats. One of them, I think the 22 came in an open and closed bow.

bad-influence
07-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Any more thoughts on this boat? I thought they were going to be keeping it, but just found out that they want it gone again! I know NADA isn't 100% accurate, but they are showing that low retail with no options added at all is $5620 and that still doesn't even include the trailer. This boat has a newer trailer that the boat.
Again, I am anal and the interior is in nice shape and the engine and drive have always been maintained by a mechanic that I know, it just has a few scratches from the docks and probably could use a good cleaning. The purpose of this boat is for me to leave in the water and have something to take a quick ride in during the week and to take the niece and nephew out for a ride or tubing. I would also have it for other family members to use and that is why I am not concerned about the scratches because it is going to get them anyways. I want a boat that I don't have to care about. This will be a second boat for me as it is...I already have the one that is fast and clean.
My offer will still stand at $3500, what do you guys think? I see them for sale from $7000 to believe it or not $12000! I think I will be stealing it for $3500 (even if it was a bayliner) because it still has a good, low hour 350 and an alpha 1 in it. Just looking for some feedback because I don't know anything about this particular model (medallion).
thanks

seabuddy
07-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Well, have you taken a ride? Donzi, over the years and over the many owners, built some stinkers, too. For example, some really go bow high for a family boat on take-off.

I know something about this as years ago, I was hired to help sell some of these left-over poor examples of the brand. I am not saying that this one is one of these. I am saying that you need to take a ride, before you buy. If you like it, buy it. Boats are cheap right now.

Note: ex-boat multi-store boat dealer, ex-new and used boat salesman, and ex-twin engine new and used salesmgr.

Carl C
07-22-2012, 04:08 PM
If you can get it for $3,500 or $4,000, buy it.

bad-influence
07-22-2012, 05:48 PM
I have driven the boat, just not in the last couple of years. In fact, I think I was the last one to drive it before it was pulled out and has been on the trailer since. I remember they had me take it for a ride to check for any problems (They smelled smoke, but it was just some oil burning off from a spill from an oil change). I remember that it was a fun, peppy littel boat being that small and having a 350 in it. Seabuddy, It planed off well and quick too, I don't remember the bow being too high. Carl C, I think it is a no brainer, even without posting here, for that price...just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something seriously wrong with these hulls or something that I should really know. Like I said, it could even be a bayliner for that price. I don't need another boat, it just would be nice to have something that I don't have to worry about and can let the family enjoy too...I don't think everyone in the family likes the blower whine as much as I do and I wont let anyone drive my other boat! If I can get it for that price, great! If not, well I really wasn't looking for another boat anyways. Just trying to be in the right spot and the right time.

Any and all other comments are a big help...thanks again!

Carl C
07-22-2012, 08:42 PM
I suppose the only way to know the condition is to hire a marine surveyor but for a boat in that price range it probably isn't practical. Maybe for that price it is worth taking a chance after giving it a good look over.

bad-influence
07-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Carl, I wouldn't bother with the survey...I know the boat and history personally. I just started the thread because I wasn't familiar with this particular model/line of donzi. If I was going to buy, I just wanted to make sure I was getting one hell of a deal.

VetteLT193
07-26-2012, 09:08 AM
a college friend of mine had one, the hull seemed to be built really well. It ran quite well and he had no problems with it. His was kept on a lift.

I think if you can get it at that price you'll be fine. Boats hit a floor of sorts on value. Anything that floats and runs pulls a few grand because people are willing to pay it to get on the water.

bad-influence
07-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the reply...I wasn't really sure how well of build quality it was. As I said before, I was thinking right around $3500 to maybe $4000. It looks as if they got for $7-10,000 and if I can get it for half, I'll do it...otherwise I really wasn't shopping in the first place. Except for maybe a bigger faster one than i have now. Hahaha!