PDA

View Full Version : Selling a Donzi for my father, need some help...

3-Captain-L216
05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Hello all! I hate joining a forum or other's that do just to sell something, but I feel this is the best place to start as Donzi seems to have a "cult" of followers. I also felt the boat should go to a great home and think this is the best place to start. For some reason the forum seemed to be down (at least on my end) for over a week so I went ahead and listed the boat on Craigslist yesterday. Actually had a serious offer today, BUT the boat has not ran in nearly four years and my father was hoping to sell as is or to have someone KNOW what they are doing buy this boat.

I haven't had a chance to help him with it as I was just tasked with listing the boat etc.......anyhow, he is selling a 1994 18' Classic. He acquired it somewhat through his new girlfriend / fiancé from her last marriage. Hence why it has not left the garage in a few years. He got it all cleaned up and ready to sell, short of putting it in the water or running it on the hose. The guy inquiring about it today needed it to be running etc....... So he decided to try to fire it up. Once the battery was on and blower ran for awhile he tried to start it and got nothing. He bought a new battery and still nothing.

My thought is that there is a kill switch somewhere, but he can't locate one (I live an hour away) I had him make sure it was in neutral etc as well.

So what is the normal starting procedure for this boat and if there would be a kill switch where would it be located (providing it is a factor switch)?

I think he is pricing this thing to sell FAST, hell I would buy it if I had the extra scratch. Here is a quick picture of it. I am going to wait to post in the for sell section until it at least fires up.

So thanks in advance, I am hoping it something simple and I can find this nice boat a new home soon :)

Fishermanjm
05-25-2012, 12:46 PM
sweet boat!!! check the kill switch under the throttle controls (if it has one that is)

Jraysray
05-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Drop the craigslist link on here.

3-Captain-L216
05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks! I will have him check for the kill switch or I may ride up tomorrow and check it out myself. Is there anything else you can think of that would cause the motor to not even turn over?

Here is a link, hope I'm not breaking any rules. I will post in the for sale soon

http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/boa/3036585415.html

3-Captain-L216
05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/boa/3036585415.html

Here is the link, hope I am not breaking any rules until I post in the For Sale section

Is there anything else it could be besides the kill switch (if there is one)?

Morgan's Cloud
05-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Nice boat , sonny ! ... lord that commercial used to crack me up .. :wink:

When you say ' he got 'nothing' do you know if it means it cranked but wouldn't start ? Which I believe is what would happen when the kill switch is activated. Or does it make no sounds at all .. not even starter pinion moving ?

To some people they both classify as 'nothing' but are two very different things.

Ghost
05-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I think I've seen at least one kill switch that was pure dead. Click-nothing. No cranking, no nothing. I think.

3-Captain-L216
05-25-2012, 02:53 PM
By nothing, I mean the motor/starter does not try to turn over, NOTHING! This is how my Yamaha Jet Boat acted when the kill switch was not engaged. Turn the key and silence.

I will post the Craigslist ad in the For Sale section now.

Rob M
05-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I had a 94 Classic 16. Throttle is probably the same. Merc 3000 if I recall correctly. There is a mini red toggle kill switch under the lever of the throttle. Try that.

pipnit
05-25-2012, 06:13 PM
could be a plethora of different things being that it's sat for so long. Crappy fuel?

Normally the first place you start on any motor is check for spark. No spark, the problem is obviously ignition. Spark but no run, fuel delivery.

It would make sense to get someone over there who knows about motors and just pay him a couple bucks to get it up and running. Being that it's sat and might have had ethanol crap gas in it, it could be very likely that the pilot jets are varnished shut or nearly shut.

What are you asking for the boat? You might find a better buyer here or at least someone who can get it running :wink:

Good luck, it's a pretty boat!

3-Captain-L216
05-25-2012, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

That is like an on/off switch which he said he tried.

I was hoping there was more of a lanyard style kill switch that he may be missing.

mattyboy
05-26-2012, 05:44 AM
There are a few things to check

If there is no cranking of the starter check to make sure the key switch is sending power and the neutral safety switch is working. This safety switch prevents the motor from starting in gear usually by breaking the connection to the starter solenoid preventing the starter from turning. The kill lanyard breaks the connection to the coil so the motor will turn but not start or die when running

Make sure all the wires are good after a long layup a wire may have been disconnected and not reconnected

Very nice 18

Capevettes
05-26-2012, 07:56 AM
My 18 foot classic also has a switch that kills power in the engine compartment just behind the rear seat. Check that if you have it.

Morgan's Cloud
05-26-2012, 11:09 AM
My 18 foot classic also has a switch that kills power in the engine compartment just behind the rear seat. Check that if you have it.

Man , do we ever have the tendency to overlook the obvious sometimes ! !

It seems we all forgot about the master 'power on/off switch' ... lol
Yep , if 'off' it would do exactly what you're describing and if pop isn't too familiar with boats he may not know that most of them have these things now.

Matty's description of the difference between the shift kill switch and the safety lanyard was very good by the way. Otherwise , I would have added that besides his suggestion to look for any possibly disconnected wires to also examine the ground/contacts on the main power cables to the starter and engine block ground.

Carl C
05-26-2012, 12:30 PM
First pull spark plugs and spray a little lube in each cyld. Then see if the engine will turn over with a wrench on the front crank nut. Then change the oil and filter. If possible it would be best to pre-lube the engine by pulling the distributor and spinning the oil pump with a drill motor. Now figure out why you are not getting power to the starter. Check all connections. Check for power at the starter with a test light while turning the key. Change water pump impeller since it has probably rotted and/or taken a set. Attach water hose. Start engine.

mattyboy
05-26-2012, 12:38 PM
MC I never thought of that I guess a good indication would be the gauges, do they bounce when the key is turned to the on position? Not real familiar with the newer boats but don't they beep when the key is turned on also ? if that is not happening then it is a battery switch or circuit breaker or a wire connection issue

Morgan's Cloud
05-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes , the newfangled engines with all their computers and sensors and injection stuff have a warning beeper that goes off when you turn the key. Plus the gauges will also move , like the 'old fashioned stuff' used to do , BUT you do get the beep thingy with the new engines too. Even if the battery is a bit low.

I can only go by what 3-captain said in his original post , but you know how it is around here. Some people can accurately describe a problem to a T .
Others ? Well let's just say that their posts leave a lot up to the imagination . :confused: :kingme:

Oops , almost forgot .. It reminds me of why I made a point of mentioning that fuse I found well hidden under the dash that killed the ignition completely in my earlier thread on the Trim-Master / Bennett conversion . Can never have too much information when it comes to boats !

edit *2 Oopsie again .. I just noticed that the original post said that the blower worked when the battery was installed . That wouldn't happen if the master battery switch was off ... Back to the drawing board ..

ralph crocker
05-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Suggest first turn on key and nav lights if ok I would test for power at the starter when key turned and work my way forward with the tester. My 94 has a master kill but is not factory.

Capevettes
05-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Well how did you make out?

3-Captain-L216
05-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Never got it running, BUT someone bought it as is this afternoon. Haven't talked to my dad to see if the new owner messed with it before taking it. He drove from Canada though and I think he got one helluva boat for a VERY nice price!

Thanks everyone for your advice and help! This community seems to be as helpful as a few others I do and have belonged to.

Safe boating!

Capevettes
05-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Glad you were able to sell it. Hope you didn't give it away. Hopefully the new owner will join our ranks.