PDA

View Full Version : Windshield-less 22 Classic

RedDog
05-24-2012, 07:17 AM
So who is this? Tell more about the boat. What motor package do you have? Did a windshield come on it? Looks fantastic!

http://www.sigmamotorsports.com/ImageFolio4_files/gallery/Trail_Runs_-_Boat_Trips_-_Events/Boating_Trips/Awakening_of_the_Horses/2012/Jill/DSC05841.jpg

Carl C
05-24-2012, 07:19 AM
That's Gregg's boat. Reportedly one of only two that left the factory with no windshield. It has a pro-charged 502 and runs great.

undertaker
05-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Great pic !!!!!:yes:

Bobby D
05-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Although I don’t own a 22 IMHO I really like the look of the boat without the windshield.

tylogans 22
05-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Thank's for the compliments, my buddy that I purchased this boat from ordered the boat from Donzi with windshield delete the folks at Donzi fought him on this and since he was the customer gave in.

Personally I need to lose a few lbs maybe I can pick up a few more RPM's.

Gregg Wright
Waterford, MI

AOTH XII people choice award
22 Yellow Devil

jeffdds
06-15-2012, 01:33 AM
I had a friend who bought an early 22 classic at the Miami boat show, I believe it was the first year the 22 came out but Im not 100 % sure . It had no windshield on it when he bought it . It was cream with a green stripe and green interior . 350 Motor. We used to water ski on it in Long Island sound in the 1980s , Manhasset bay, Little Neck bay . It was my first donzi experience , my friend Mike who owned the boat always talked about Donzi's and finally bought this one when he was vacationing in Miami. This boat definitely came without the windshield, I remember riding in it many times thinking it would be better with a windshield and even recall discussing with Mike, but I know for sure that it did not . is anyone familiar with this boat ?
jeff

capecoddonzi
06-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Hi, I believe I have that Donzi, I bought it from a NY State trooper from Long Island in the late 80's, Gary

jeffdds
06-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Gary , thats interesting, I think the state trooper was the third owner . If its the same boat ( which I think it is) my friend Mike was the original owner and he sold it to a guy with a british accent who was a banker or wall street type guy . I was standing right there when they completed the deal . We had just finished detailing the boat while it wsa in storage . Mike gave the guy the carpet , ich had never been used to that point , the duffel bag and key chain and some other donzi accessories that came with the boat . That was the last I ever saw of it but I had been on that boat many times . It was first docked in Great Neck and like I said in the earlier post we used to ski on it and just cruise it around all the in the sound , go swimming off it etc . Im glad you found it and are restoring it to its original colors and stuff. I would love to see some pictures if you can get a chance please post some .

gcarter
06-15-2012, 09:39 AM
I think the very earliest 22 2+3's had the deck molded similar to an 18. The 9 or so F-22's were molded similarly. This must have been in '78 or'79.
The Cotton Farmer sent me a picture, that I can't seem to find, of an early 22 w/a windshield, actually had an additional piece bonded onto the molded deck lip which the windshield was screwed to. The outcome of the original deck molding plus the additional bonded piece looked just like the current boats.......at least on the gunnels.

There's another boat like this in California (maybe blue) on Clear Lake owned by a guy named Ed (Boatnut ?). If I remember correctly, Ed has owned it from new.

capecoddonzi
06-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Will post pics soon, just got done buffing it out, looks good, again, Gary