PDA

View Full Version : ford circulating pump dilemma

champ
05-19-2012, 07:35 AM
My ford 351w in my 17' champion has had an auto style water circulating pump on it since I purchased it. As of this year when starting it up and getting it ready for the season, I noticed a leak starting. Either from the seep hole or behind the pump but not really sure.
I removed the pump, btw it was a Weiand 8210 which is not a stock unit and purchased a marine style pump without too much thought. Dah.... It's inlet pointed to the passenger side and not the drivers side of the motor. This interferes with the bracket of my crank mounted raw water pump bracket.
I can't seem to be able to find a marine style pump that points in the right direction and thought to use another cheap auto pump and just change it out as needed. That trouble is that it don't fit either. The outlets for the heater hoses get in the way of the alternator brackets.
...So, I am looking for suggestions that may help with this little problem.
Thanks

mattyboy
05-19-2012, 07:50 AM
early holman moody fords only used the crank driven raw water pump and a crossover system. perhaps that might be an option

pics would help

champ
05-19-2012, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I was looking at my other Champion (project boat) and have that set up. I thought I read on another post here that there were issues with overheating using this ?

Ed Donnelly
05-19-2012, 10:09 AM
JEGS have stock..E-Bay have several listed if you want to stay with Weiand..Ed

thescooter
05-19-2012, 04:20 PM
ditch the circ pump do not need it

MOP
05-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Ditto on ditching the pump! You will gain a SLIGHT bit of power.

champ
05-21-2012, 08:12 AM
....so by ditching the pump, are you saying to use the crossover system as on my holman moody setup ?

mattyboy
05-21-2012, 08:28 AM
it's a little tough to say without seeing it. I would imagine you would need to plumb the output of the rw pump to feed where the circ pump's output feed.

the routing on my 302 is from the rw pump to a y/t conn. that feeds both sides of the block then thru the block and out of the t stat housing again thru another y/t conn to each exhaust manifold.