PDA

View Full Version : Freight companies

yeller
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM
I need to get a motor shipped from MI to WA, but I'm not familiar with the names of US freight companies.

Anyone have any suggestions.....or even company names?

I tried Uship but only shipping brokers responded. Even when I did a Google search, all I came up with was a bunch of brokers. I had a really bad experience with a broker, so I only want to deal directly with the trucking company.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :wavey:

gcarter
05-18-2012, 05:13 PM
FedEx Freight goes almost everywhere.
When I had the Minx hatch and windshield shipped from Seattle to here in Leesburg, FL, I used them.
If you can find someone who has a contract w/them, you'll save some money.

BUIZILLA
05-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Forward Air

Carl C
05-18-2012, 07:08 PM
There are a bunch near Detroit Metro Airport. I'll try to find the info on the one that flew my old 496 to Germany.

thescooter
05-19-2012, 04:25 PM
use YRC or ABF
we use both

http://www.yrc.com/

or

http://www.abfs.com/

Carl C
05-19-2012, 06:48 PM
My engine was shipped by Econocaribe. Booking was through the Wheaton, IL office. Phone 866-326-6648. They have a facility not far from where your engine is. The seller would have to crate it and drop it off there. You would make the shipping arrangements through the Illinois facility.

BUIZILLA
05-20-2012, 07:11 AM
if you had used Forward Air you would have had it already...

seabuddy
05-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Sorry, do you have a link/contact info to Forward Air?

yeller
05-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys. I've sent out a few requests, so I should get some pricing back on Mon or Tue.

Buizilla, do you have experience with Forward Air? From their website, they look like a broker only and don't have any trucks. Brokers worry me, because now you're dealing with two companies if something happens to the shopment...the broker and the trucking company.

BUIZILLA
05-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I have used Forward Air many times, last engine I had shipped from SF Bay area to Miami was at my door in 4 days, I had another engine shipped from Scottsdale to MIA in 3 days, the engines arrived before the invoices in the mail did...

they are NOT a broker, they run a dedicated fleet of O-O teams that run the roads 24-7, they are a HUGE outfit, they usually do terminal to terminal only

a LOT of airlines down here use them for freight because they can do on the ground what an airline takes days to do in the air due to scheduling and flight cancellations, I swear by them.

yeller
05-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks Buizilla. Sent them an email.
Someone else gave me the name JB Hunt and so far they have the best price at $400. I have a price on Uship for $50 less, but that's from a broker, so I'm not really interested.