PDA

View Full Version : OE Classic 18 Stainless Windshields

woobs
05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
After about 6 months of research tracking down many leads I have finally found a windshield solution. In fact, these are OE stainless windshields that are available from the original supplier to Donzi.

This is a LIMITED supply as many of the parts were still in "stock" and are no longer in production. These windshields are brand new with plexi and will cost about $3400, although glass is available at additional cost.

It's hard to say just how many complete windshields can be made but I understand the number is small, 3 or 4 maybe. Given these are the last of the last.... well, you'll have to make the call.

If interested contact Ron Lubsen of DESMAIN Corporation , SC. www.desmanglass.com (http://www.desmanglass.com/)

RickSE
05-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Good find. Interesting that they have Stainless windshields though since all of the newer 18's had aluminum framed windshields. Would these be the older style windshields that the 18's had in the 80's?? Looks like they have some great capabilities.

Greg Guimond
05-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Ron is one of the best in the country. They can build anything and have an 18 Classic deck at there shop.

woobs
05-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Personally, I think these are the nicest windshields for the Classic...period.

It's my understanding that the Aluminum ones were made by a different manufacturer. Ron had a number of parts on a dusty shelf for a long time. He has cleaned them up and geared up to fabricate the missing parts to be able to offer an OE windshield. This opportunity does not come twice.

If your looking for a windshield, there are several other options out there but, like I said...you have to make the call.

Lively-one
05-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Nice going Sean! I know you were relentless in your search and it looks like it paid off...

woobs
05-29-2012, 09:08 AM
I suppose the reality of it is that when you get to looking...it's amazing what you find.
I found...

1) Original early DONZI OE curved classic windshield
2) Original late DONZI OE aluminum classic windshield
3) Original DONZI OE stainless classic windshield
4) Aluminum aftermarket custom windscreen
5) Fiberglass aftermarket custom windscreen
6) Custom made to order fiberglass windscreen
7) Plexi aftermarket kit windshield
8) OE DONZI manufacturer custom build aluminum windshield

So, there's lots of options out there. This was ALL very cool stuff. Some of these items were quite inexpensive, some a bit more than inexpensive, okay, downright painful. However alot is up to the individual and their budget, taste etc.

Unfortunately for me I am now selling my 18 Classic and it will go with no windscreen/windshield. Upon the sale of my woodyboat, I will be looking for a Z21 or Z25 project hull. Maybe then I can put to use all the research....or go through it again.

At anyrate I felt the community here would like to have the info.