PDA

View Full Version : New to Donzi's. Looking at a 21-GT.Whats it worth?

Captnickm
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Hey Donzi.net,
I have a friend with a 1970 Donzi 21-GT. He gave me a call afew days ago and asked if I was interested in the boat. I have never owned aDonzi, mostly Whalers. I have not seen the boat in a few years, but willhopefully make it out and get some pics in the next few days.
It’s got the original Holman and Moody 351 that runs great apparently.He had the motor completely gone through over winter. It has newer upholstery andhas been kept inside or under a cover for over 15 years. The hull it totally red, even the bottom andtop. If I remember correctly it does not even have racing stripes. It is on a newer double axel aluminum trailer.
I want to say its all original except the interior was donein early 2000’s.
I will try to get some pics up. Just looking for a ballparkof what it’s worth.
Thanks in advance!!! Love the site!

mattyboy
05-14-2012, 10:15 AM
the plus side is the interior,

the trailer , and the 351 in 69 and 70 was rated at 290 hp after that the hp rating fell. that motor is stout and reliable

these are all good things

the minus side in 1971 the USCG made terne steel tanks illegal so a 1970 donzi could have a steel tank in it which will mean a tank replacement in the very near future if not immediately . If by chance it does have an alum tank it may be better but could still have issues. The lines from the tank to the motor will need to be checked and if not ethanol compliant will need to be made so. the hull will need to be checked for soft spots being indoors is a good thing but a 42 yr old boat is still a 42 yr old boat.

so the value is keyed on condition and this sounds like it may be in good condition the GT range from 4-14k based on condition in original stock form they are much higher if someone has done a resto-mod.

look for the hull number and the serial numbers on the motor and drive that will help tell how original it is

Captnickm
05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the great info. I will get all the serial numbers in the next few days and post them up with some pictures.

Thanks again!

mattyboy
05-14-2012, 11:19 AM
it is not unusual to see a GT in all one color with no stripes, or even a two toned hull with just a water line stripe and no deck stripe.
yes pics would help

Pismo
05-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Great Boat, gets are great. iPads suck...GTs are great.under 10k

Captnickm
05-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Well, I finally made it out to take a look at the boat.She is in great shape. The hull paint is almost perfect with no fading and onlyone or two small nicks. It has a bimini and a cockpit cover. New double axel aluminumtrailer. The serial numbers all match up as well. The upholstery is on o.k.shape with a few stitches pulling out here and there. Let me know what youthink and maybe a little more accurate guess as to what she is worth.
The serials are as follows.
Hull- 21-25
Outdrive- 251425B. This one was hard to read.
Engine- E9hm-4315-1-rw.

Sorry the last two are hard to read. Cell Phone.....

Captnickm
05-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Woops. Looks like I hit the download button a few to many times. Sorry.

JimG205
05-18-2012, 01:17 PM
There's another thread on a GT-21 for sale in Canada,I think asking price was 10 or 12 K,the owner had offers of 6K I believe.The market is very soft now,be careful not to overpay.the H&M motor does add some value.Does the boat have a windshield?.I haven't seen any GT's without one.I hope this gives you some comparison-also,if the boats been sitting you'll have fuel tank issues,with stale fuel.Lot's to consider before you put an offer on what looks like a sweet boat.Good Luck

Pismo
05-18-2012, 01:33 PM
I agree, where is the windshield? Under 10k.

Captnickm
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention the boat has a windshield in the storage unit behind the boat. The center glass is broken though.

olredalert
05-18-2012, 05:08 PM
----Capt,,, GT21s were originally designed to have a windshield. I have never seen one delivered from the factory without one and I both worked for Donzi and was a dealer. The plexi or lexan part of the windshield is easy to fab. The GT21 had an aluminum windshield frame. It was very prone to bending down in the middle of the top extrusion. When a passenger grabbed the top rail to stand up it would bend down and the plexi would brake fairly easily at that point. The problem was bad enough that the factory offered a strut that went from the dash up to the middle of the top frame as an option. The factory didnt install it on every boat as it should have, but if you knew enough to ask they would sell you the upgrade. I had that strut on the GT21 that I bought new in 1972. The front seats were another problem area as the backs didnt have enough strength built in. The backs tended to break off backwards. The factory also came up with an optional fix for that which included straps that went from the bottom to the sides. Once again though the straps were an option if you only knew enough to order them.
----GT21s are great boats. Very dry due to the flair and a nice deep coc kpit and a great dash. The hull was typical 24 degree Donzi fair and would take a huge beating when necessary. By the pictures supplied the one you are looking at is a very standard GT21. Good for around 50mph max with the 351/280 Volvo package. They will stand a lot more power if desired (the factory built a few with twin 351 packages) but if you want to go faster reliably you need not only more power but power trim as well. The boat I ordered new had a mild 427 Merc package with a #3 merc drive. It was good for 60 at around 43/4400 rpm all day long. I loved it, but being a dealer for Donzis at the time I had to sell it when I had a good enough offer. The boat that is listed here on the registry from Canada appears to be a better boat, but you would have to see both to determine that......Bill S

----Forgot to mention that if the red is as nice as you say the boat has probably been repainted as red gell tends to fade over time down to a more pinkish hue. Just something to consider!

mattyboy
05-18-2012, 06:14 PM
the numbers appear to be correct but it looks like work has been done to the boat and motor. olered is correct about the fading it can be seen on the dash the hull in gel would not stand up as well. the motor looks to have been worked on the exhaust have been replaced you will have to see by the block casting number if it is the original motor. As I said before the 69 and 70 351 had the highest hp rating later 351 fell as far as 230 hp. the drive has also been replaced the numbers indicate it left the factory with a 250 drive it now has a 280 all bad news for originality but not really bad news the boat looks to be decent and if in running order I would say a solid $ 6500-8500 depending on the tank.