View Full Version : Volvo 270 shifter cable thru transom

05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Previously installed on my 270 outdrive shifter cable as it passed through the transom was a bellows that appeared to be cut down and modified to seal against water entering the hull.
As I researched to find a correct one as a replacement I read a post from some site that no bellows is required and that the cable just passes through a hose attached to a nipple on the inside of the transom.
Am I correct to assume that this hose stays higher inside the boat than the water line outside of the boat thus allowing free travel of the cable as the outdrive is raised and lowered into the water?
Can anyone provide a pic or proper advise on how this system operates.

05-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Champ, here's a pic of the hose leaving the shield, a pic of the accordion type bellows and a pic of it zip tied to the exhaust manifold hose to keep it above the waterline, barely. It needs the bellows to allow the length to change as the drive tilts. Without it, even if the middle of the hose is above the waterline, you could create a siphon and fill the boat with water.

05-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Is this bellows item specific or something you came up with. All I can seem to find are Mercruiser type bellows and they don't seem to have enough travel play.
Would you say that the hose connected to the shield is about two feet in length?

05-11-2012, 09:13 PM
The hose is about 2'. I bought the bellows at All Island Marine in Oceanside, on L.I.
They have a lot of older AQ drive stuff.

Ralph Savarese
05-15-2012, 07:54 AM
I think you can use a pipe to hose nipple and a 2 foot piece of hose I think you can hook up at home depot it's not complicated

05-15-2012, 09:49 PM
i agree i think you can make one yourself.
try a hydraulic local hose shop.
take yours as a sample.
i sure this will work.
thescooter nick