PDA

View Full Version : Need some electrical help.

Mckillop
05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I had my dash panel off checking some gauge connections and also had replaced trim switch sending units. Now I have no power when I turn the key. Usually I get the warning beep and gauge activity when the key is turned. I checked the rear breakers on the engine, and I thought I felt the one closest to the transom click, but still no power at the key. Every other accessory works, just nothing when I turn the key. Any suggestions on where to start?

mattyboy
05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Need to check voltage at the ign switch with a meter

Mckillop
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I will try that. It's really strange, boat ran perfectly all day yesterday. I also had power right before I reconnected my fuel gauge which had a loose connection. The only thing I can think of now is that the trim senders were hooked up incorrectly? But that should only effect the gauge and not cause a breaker to pop? I also don't know why reconnecting a loose gauge connection would cause this issue. Are there any other wire harness breakers besides the two on the ecu box?

mattyboy
05-07-2012, 09:12 PM
I would disconnect the last two things you mentioned. Then test with a meter to me it sounds like you have a ground where it doesn't belong causing a short

Ranman
05-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Just to cover the obvious/simple, make sure you didn't bump your lanyard kill button or bump the gear shifter out of neutral.

Mckillop
05-07-2012, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Yep, tried that first. It has to be a short. If I eliminate the cause of the short, will I need to reset a breaker or replace a fuse? Sorry for the stupid questions, I am new to screwing with the electrical stuff. Not going well so far

mattyboy
05-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Yes if the breaker popped it needs to be reset if it's a fuse it needs to be replaced. After that the first test would be with the key off is there 12 volts at the battery side of the ign switch if not bad breaker or fuse if there is then turn on key if that pops the breaker remove all wires from the on side of the switch. Then start over test each one to see where the issue is

Morgan's Cloud
05-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Not that I know a damn thing about this stuff , but when I was doing all the troubleshooting for the tabs on the Mag I discovered a very well hidden in line fuse in the ignition wiring harness under the dash. No one had ever told me that there was another ignition related fuse on the boat other than the circuit breaker on the engine. When I removed it the ignition key went dead.

Like Ran said .. the obvious stuff first .

Mckillop
05-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Got it figured out. Thanks guys