PDA

View Full Version : motor mounts needed for 1967 St Tropez, any ideas?

Christian
05-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Hi Gang,

looking for some motor mount help for a 1967 St Tropez. Do owners need to fab something? or was this an OEM part from a builder other then donzi that can be replaced? before I start cutting and tiging...

all the best pics to come soon!

Christian

mattyboy
05-07-2012, 06:45 AM
holman moody motor? with their front plate? did you pick up the st tropez out on long island ?

Christian
05-07-2012, 06:48 AM
she is in the shop. It did come from LI.

It doesn't have one large front plate. It has two stringer mounted mounts on either side of the ford motor

mattyboy
05-07-2012, 08:49 AM
all the hm mounts i have seen use a spindle that gets clamped down then mounts to a bracket on the stringer. the bracket on the stringer usualy has a shoulder bolt

here are the two brackets i have seen

MDonziM
05-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Congrats on the St. Tropez, where is home now? Love to see pics of the boat and resto.

mattyboy
05-07-2012, 09:22 AM
the other thought would be to go to a newer setup like PCM their mounts attach to the side of the block

here is a donor 302/5.0 waukesha/pcm motor (http://www.ebay.com/itm/waukesha-5-0-ford-302-PCM-marine-engine-motor-complete-pleasurecraft-/280856409811?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item416458b6d3&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_969) on ebay with the mounts and a volvo intermediate on it

Morgan's Cloud
05-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Aaah , there you are Christian ... lol
When I got mine in '87 it had obviously been repowered and had a 351F with a Merc pre Alpha.
The mounts were el cheapo L brackets that through bolted to the stringers and the engine sat on them.

I had a welder experienced in boats make up a new set , very heavy duty , that were T shaped and through bolted to the stringers.

I was able to adapt them from the Ford/Merc original installation to my new GM/Volvo when I did the resto/repower in 2007/8

When I took the original transom out it appeared to have had a few different powerplants over the years.. maybe even an Eaton drive from the factory.

Look very closely at where the stringers butt up against the transom .. almost guaranteed to be rot there (and around the limber holes )!

Christian
05-07-2012, 08:20 PM
hi gang,

home for now is in South NJ. lots of fun working on this one. Seems like donzi was ahead of their time with their ideas of boxes and molds for hatches et al.

just was able to get the motor to turn. needs a starter and other odds and ends. Will most likely go the make my own route for the mounts. Will post pics soon.