PDA

View Full Version : New trim tabs finally, 22c BH.

MDonziM
05-05-2012, 07:25 AM
After taking off my Bennetts 2+ years ago I finally got the new tabs mounted. It turns out that my steering rams are larger/longer than required so they mount wider and interfear with mounting typical transom plate tabs. The solution was 26" Eddie Marine sponson tabs. My old tabs were mounted too low to the bottom and the 20'cig/blackhawk guys swear on the bigger tabs, we'll see.

gcarter
05-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Yes, a fairly common problem.
I decided to mount my tabs more inboard.......
Mainly, in my mind anyway, to minimise the chance of hooking the tabs.

MDonziM
05-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Hey George,

I agree, more inboard can have benefits, but with my steering lines it wasn't possible. I really didn't want to re-locate the steering so we hopefully made the best trade off. Looking forward to see how they perform.

Looks like the TR is getting close.

- Marshall

22times2
05-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi Marshall I had tabs that long on my 05 22 and they would hit the prop if I was backing and turning sharp.They were super sensitive I thought I was going to screw the thing into the water one day so I took a little off the ends.Good luck let us know how you like them.regards mike.

gcarter
05-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Marshall, ya know, a big part of rigging a boat is making the best selections of equipment.
Now, ya won't find another pair of these Hynautic Power Planes, but there're a good number of tabs that have a lower height from the bottom of the hinge to the top of the cylinder mount. In fact, I think most K-Planes are even shorter (lower) than these.
I'm thinkin' a different set of tabs might have a different outcome.
BTW, these Hynautic tabs are 16" long.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66101&stc=1&d=1313784984

MDonziM
05-08-2012, 05:19 PM
George, the only reason I wanted to go with bigger tabs was due to the blackhawk/540 combo, and talking to a couple big hp 20' cig/bh guys who sware by the longer tabs. I have 2 sets of 280 k-planes, one set with notched transom plates, but the eddie tabs were better I thought. The 12" bennets were fine with my orig. 502/bravo.

Mike - thanks for the steering point. If a regular bravo swings say 60*, my setup only goes 30* or so. A lot of shifting/ steering around the dock.

- Marshall