PDA

View Full Version : high and dry not good

mattyboy
05-03-2012, 07:02 AM
well I am glad some rain is here we need alot more I'm just ready to shake out the motor and get it tuned and I have no water :boggled:

things are getting bad the village is just about ready to grab pitch forks and torches and route the lake commission out of their offices. The clip shows our marina and restaurant we work at you can see the empty slips empty gazebo bar and deck. looks like the lake will not be used this spring and early suimmer. I am going to have to go to hopatcong to do my shakedown and be ready for the dustoff in lake george. local businesses are feeling the pinch right now going to be a rough season

got to love the cruiser grounded the video is down torwards the bottom of the article.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/17/lack-of-winter-snow-dry-spring-create-depressing-times-at-orange-county-lake/

Just Say N20
05-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Very strange winter and spring for sure. Hopefully you will get those "2 large rainstorms" needed to get the lake, and community, back to the activity levels normal for the summer.

Offset
05-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Our lake in Haliburton, Ontario is a feeder lake for the Federal Government regulated Trent Severn Waterway. They need water to run the system so they take ours. Currently the feeder lake levels are very low. We received very little snow this winter and the spring has been dry. Hopefully the spring rains will refill the lakes above the system otherwise there will not be much boating here.

Good luck with you lake system. Hopefully it can get back to somewhat normal levels quickly.

CHACHI
05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
The water in my bay on the ST. Lawrence in down about a foot and a half.

I don't think my boat will float off the cradle. It has been too cold to check.

Ken

mattyboy
05-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Ken,

there are lake front home owners that can get their toon boats in and leave them beached and can use the main part of the lake but they can't re fuel or go to any of the marinas or restaurants . in the arms of the lake most of the ramps will collapse with the water table level so low. the water is 10 -15 feet from shore that exposed bottom was never meant to support traffic and with out the water underneath it to support it, it crumbles quite easily once the trailer hits it.

jl1962
05-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Bummer.
I was wondering about this.
Is Hopatcong much better?
Good luck.

mattyboy
05-03-2012, 09:24 AM
the hopatcong lake commission has a water level mgmt plan, our commision doesn't . hopatcong was not in draw down so their levels are down a bit but not much year we were in a drawdown year which means from oct to feb they take the lake down 5 feet. we had Irene in sept and then the halloween blizzard. NOV thru JAN were very dry they should have stop the draw down early but they didn't. so now they face a mayor daily blizzard moment . this will become the commission's un-doing.

mc donzi
05-03-2012, 10:45 AM
I live on the Trent-Severn Waterway.. water levels are at mid July levels right now!!! Won't make much difference tho' if the Feds follow through with the proposed cut-backs for the locks...shorter days and shorter season!!

Morgan's Cloud
05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
There must be something going around . We're now in our 3rd consecutive year of drought out here , but I thought that the North East had been getting ample rain fall over the winter because we were all watching and it never made it's way over to us like it normally does in the winter .

Unfortunately , a drought doesn't affect our sea level , it just means you gotta be carefull washing down at the end of the day . Damn salt water .

mattyboy
05-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I can live with the lost wages hard to open a clam bar at the marina when you have no boats on the lake. My real problem is a trailer for the dust off if I can't get my nephews boat in the water I won't have a loaner trailer to get the hornet up to lk geo and performance to get a trailer built. If that happens I am gonna have to buy a cheap trailer and wait til next year for a performance trailer. Hopefully we get more rain

Jraysray
05-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Man that stinks.... Wanna talk about drought talk to any Texan at the moment. Ours was/is a an act of God. Sorry yours is an act of fool's or so it seems. Fortunately we are on the coast and got lots of water. Just wanted more lake action this year. It's nice having two options.

RickSE
05-04-2012, 09:22 AM
For the most part we made it through our drought here in the South West but it took 7-years. At one point our primary lake was down 150'. Our moisture levels seem to vary quite a bit now, great one year but poor the next. Most years if it doesn't hit down South it hits up North but this year seemed to be really poor for everyone in the US.

Tim Morris
05-08-2012, 07:58 AM
I live on the Trent-Severn Waterway.. water levels are at mid July levels right now!!! Won't make much difference tho' if the Feds follow through with the proposed cut-backs for the locks...shorter days and shorter season!!

The above was McDonzi grumbling again. I'm on Couchiching (one level up and feeding the Trent-Severn).
Lake level is good. I'll send him some water when he starts behaving.

Greg Guimond
05-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Matty I had no idea that it was that bad up by you. Hopefully some of the rain we are due to get with help out a little bit, although I tend to think you would need more like a full weeks worth!

CHACHI
05-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I'll send him some water when he starts behaving

It is good to be King.

Ken

jl1962
05-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Any better?

mattyboy
05-16-2012, 06:54 AM
level is slowly creeping up with the rain we have had lately. some marinas have some docks in but no boats as of yet.still 2-3 feet down.

from the village board meeting letters and a vote of no confidence in the commission to both gov's Christie and Cuomo, on top of the commission chairman resignation.

a week til the start of the season noy joy in muddville

BUIZILLA
05-16-2012, 07:21 AM
who authorized the drawdown if your commisssion never had a water mgt plan in the first place?

that's where the blame is...