PDA

View Full Version : Any stock market players here?

Conquistador_del_mar
05-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Last week, I shorted NFLX before the earnings for a 30+% gain after it announced. This week, GMCR had a 40+% drop in after hours trading this afternoon after it announced for another huge gain. Got to love playing when things go right which they don't always - :yes:

The Hedgehog
05-02-2012, 10:30 PM
I used to play. I am not that active these days. I have great technology at my finger tips (Bloomberg) but use it to analyze fixed income stuff and track market info. I had one before and did not play the market that much then. I lose the enthusiasm after looking at it all day.

I do run into some cool retail CMO's from time to time that can give a 20% pop. Not bad for a bond

Conquistador_del_mar
05-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi Bill,
Good to see you post since it seems like it has been a while. You follow a different game than myself with the bonds. I got a little lucky with the short plays recently, but I had my reasons for playing them. I might have covered my short position in GMCR too early this afternoon in after hours trading, but you know that leaving a little on the table beats guessing the maximum gain. How is the boating? Another Bill

Marlin275
05-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I bought Apple a few years ago

like a Donzi it has a lot of get-up-and-go . . .

RockyS18
05-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Yes, my favorite stocks right now are
-UEC for a long term growth play (2 years maybe)
-AAPL, which is just a great stock that I have owned for a long time
-and for short term AGQ.

You guys should check out SDY. It is the S&P 500 SPDR. Good fixed income (high dividend yield), low beta, and if you're bullish on the S&P this is a good play.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-03-2012, 12:53 PM
AAPL has been a great stock. I still remember having 180 call options to buy at $5 when Steve Jobs took back over the company, but they expired worthless when Apple did not quite reach my strike price early that year (I should have bought them out a little farther). That rivals my decision to turn down Larry Levine in 1975 for 1/3 ownership of the first Chilis Restaurant in Dallas for $30,000 - :boggled:. It looks like I left $6000+ on the table with GMCR in trading today, but I was happy with my profit yesterday. Good luck with your investments guys. Onwards, Bill

f_inscreenname
05-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Couple Dividend plays that have seemed to work for me the last few months.
CTB - Cooper Tire & Rubber Co
DDE - Dover Downs Gaming & Entertainment
XRX - Xerox Corp

As for a play, (I wish you all would have got in when I did a couple years ago) RAD - Rite Aid, lots of movement in this lately.

RockyS18
06-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Couple Dividend plays that have seemed to work for me the last few months.
CTB - Cooper Tire & Rubber Co
DDE - Dover Downs Gaming & Entertainment
XRX - Xerox Corp

As for a play, (I wish you all would have got in when I did a couple years ago) RAD - Rite Aid, lots of movement in this lately.

Back when you wrote this up I put CTB on my watch list. I look at it every now and then, and just realized its been up nearly 100% since you wrote that post!

Another stock I've been actively trading in the past few months in Questcor (QCOR). It's a pharmaceutical company that plunged from over $50 a share to a low of about $18 a share in September after insurance company Aetna limited coverage for one use of their miracle drug Acthar Gel. I bought a lot of it between $18 and $28 and just sold the last of my position at $46 Tuesday after they announced they were buying out a rival drug Synacthen (they were up 30% that day when I sold).
I'd recommend buying the dips on this stock, they keep finding more and more uses for Acthar Gel and also instituted a dividend last October.

BUIZILLA
06-13-2013, 03:36 PM
I bailed on NFLX today....

I figured a 15% backslide from a high of $248 for the year was enough...

but, I when I bought in it was at $69.... then Icahn came along...

:cool:

Tidbart
06-14-2013, 07:46 AM
My fave of the last couple years..... Siri, SiriusXm.

Started buying a 2-3 years ago at 0.14 and accumulated quite a bit. 52 week high was recently hit at $3.63. :biggrin.::worthy: Currently, around 3.30ish.

B

Conquistador_del_mar
06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
I bailed on NFLX today....

I figured a 15% backslide from a high of $248 for the year was enough...

but, I when I bought in it was at $69.... then Icahn came along...

:cool:

I am presently short NFLX and it has killed my portfolio.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Back when you wrote this up I put CTB on my watch list. I look at it every now and then, and just realized its been up nearly 100% since you wrote that post!

Cooper Tire (CTB) is being bought out which really made the price skyrocket. I had played it for the dividends a while back, but I missed out on the buyout - :frown:

CHACHI
06-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Cooper Tire is (was) owned by Avon.

Ken