PDA

View Full Version : need a speaker for Donzi seminar

seabuddy
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Any ideas? Any names?

Got a crowd that on a good weekend gets up around 10,000 folks that come to see a Festival about Classic Boating. I want to expose them to a fiberglass boat as a classic boat. It is a 17 acre outside and tented Classic Boat Show and Festival. All bets are off for attendance if it rains.

I want to have about a 1/2 hour talk about Donzi boats. Prefer someone that has done this type of thing before and has some visual backup, but I need someone that has the passion about the boats and the brand.

Seminar will be inside a building with modern support systems. Expect that Saturday of the 3 day weekend will be the day, but this is all fluid right now.

Other Classic Fiberglass Boats and Brands are also welcome. Glasspar, Glastron, Donzi, right now, are my focus.

I think I have a strong line on an expert on Custom Craft boats and some other brands.

My contact e-mail on this is brcwb@aol.com

seabuddy
05-01-2012, 09:08 PM

seabuddy
05-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I have posted a photo of this year's Festival's featured boat above. It is a 1959 Silver Arrow Chris Craft inboard fiberglass boat.

seabuddy
05-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I am aware that many folks have it in their minds to think that fiberglass classics should be separate from other classic boats. I do not agree that this is the universal case with all classic boat clubs. This one club has made a statement, I think, by the choice of a fiberglass boat as it's FEATURED boat. I want to carry that fiberglass direction further.

seabuddy
05-02-2012, 05:32 AM
St. Michaels, MD 21663

That is on what is called the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

seabuddy
05-02-2012, 05:39 AM
About the rain history of this event. I think its only one heavy rain day over the 3 day weekend Festival over 7 years under the current leader of the Event. So, about 5% based on history. Maybe it is luck.

roadtrip se
05-02-2012, 10:58 AM
I would nominate the Ghost for this task. Articulate, in the area, and a passion for the Aronow line. But of course, it's up to him.

seabuddy
05-02-2012, 01:27 PM
How do I contact him?

Ghost
05-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Hey, thanks for the thought--I am flattered. Seabuddy, I'd be happy to help and would be going to that festival anyhow, except that's the same weekend as the Chattanooga Gorge run, so I will be out of town. Great to hear what you're putting together though, that's awesome. If there ever is anything else going on I can help with, you can always PM me here and get my contact info.

Regards,

Mike

seabuddy
05-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks. I would not want to build something up by tearing something else down to do it. Thanks for the generous offer about the future.

seabuddy
05-02-2012, 07:52 PM
This event has had a high of 138 boats for show and I would guess 40 for sale at the best show ever. (The FOR SALE boats and the Boats for Show are kept in separate areas on the 17 acres).

It is the 25th anniversary show, so they are planning to make it a good one, but one never knows how things will go this far out.

I really want to get folks to think Donzi Boats and Classic Boats in the same thought in front of this big crowd.

seabuddy
05-02-2012, 07:56 PM
I want to say "Thanks" to those that run this board.

I am a "low poster" here and my post gets the attention of some very "high posters" and I thank you for that opportunity.

seabuddy
05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I have been without a computer until now. Any ideas for the speaker from anyone?

seabuddy
05-08-2012, 07:01 AM
from another thread I see a name of Jim Cansul. Is he still around where I can ask him if he will do this?

mattyboy
05-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Jim has not been around in 10+ years

Ghost
05-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Sorry, no leads for you so far. Spoke to one person but he couldn't make it either.

jl1962
05-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Posting the date might help.......

seabuddy
05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Happy to post the date of the seminars, which will be Saturday, June 16, 2012.

The Festival goes over the 3 day weekend of June 15,16,and 17, 2012. The 17th is Father's Day.

This is the 25th year that the show falls on Father's Day weekend.

f_inscreenname
05-08-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm entering/taking the race boat.

seabuddy
05-09-2012, 04:44 AM
Sorry, I do not know the details about your race boat.

Is it a Donzi? A Wellcraft Nova? A Nova Marine Nova? A pure racer that never was a pleasure boat? Fiberglass or wood?

Do you do most of your own work? Help out your buddies on their boats? Operate a marine business?

I am an ex-wellcraft dealer. Sold Novas, Scarabs, fish and family boats in the 1980s.

f_inscreenname
05-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Sorry, I thought everyone knew me around here.
My name is Mark and I own/run a couple websites. SuperNova19.com, SuperNova24.com, RessurrectionMarine.com, Raceboat.info and a few others.
I will be taking one boat this year to see how it all works out.
It will be my 1968 Nova24 Raceboat. It is the original (Brownies boat).

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3/70949863.jpg

seabuddy
05-11-2012, 08:57 AM
you are right, I am the one that is wrong.

How about you give a seminar at the show on Offshore Race Boats...the beginning

bring some business cards and we will get your boat at the entrance to the seminar building with a big sign near it and i'll get the Public Address guys to read off to the crowd about your talk.

I like Nova's but this is a Donzi board. Maybe you can cover both brands with one talk titled about as above.

I am open to other ideas, too. Let me know. I need to firm up and get this in print. Pre-show publicity is apart of my plan to make this talk popular and reach out to the crowd.

seabuddy
05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
your boat is a unique racer in the history of racing offshore. I am glad that you are bringing it to the show.

seabuddy
05-15-2012, 06:36 AM
I locked up a "in the general area of fiberglass repair" speaker yesterday for the self restorer. Still need a pro that knows fiberglass repair/restoration to speak.

I think I have an expert on small block Chevy's in boats ready to do one, but the details still need to be set.

Come on guys I need more seminars! Read the thread and give me your ideas.

joseph m. hahnl
05-15-2012, 08:16 PM
The Lg Dust off is that weekend,

The dates for the LG Donzi Classic Club Dustoff are June 15th to June 17th 2012 on Lake George NY the friday BBQ will be at Treasure Cove resort in Diamond point NY and the run/show and awards dinner will be held at The Algonquin in Bolton Landing NY. all of which are on the Lake a few miles apart.

Registration deadlines for your Donzi Classic are May 21st for the early discount and June 1st is the final deadline for the event.

hope ya can make it :)

seabuddy
05-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Yes, it is. Like there are many fans of Classic Boats, there are separate events for a given brand. I am trying not to hurt those events that in a sense "sing to the choir" that love a brand, but to get the brand a big exposure to a big group of folks. That does not say I am right in trying to do this.

On a sunny weekend the Chesapeake Bay Chapter event in St. Michaels gets as high as 10,000 people and 138 boats for show and another 30-40 for sale. The Lake George event is also well attended in its own way, I understand.

seabuddy
05-17-2012, 10:27 AM
link to St. Michaels video on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV_U21NJuJo

seabuddy
05-18-2012, 08:09 AM
The above 30 second spot will go live on TV in June. This a preview copy that repeats once with two different music backgrounds.

seabuddy
05-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Good news. The Show's slips for more cruisers over 30 feet long is "wait listed" only.

seabuddy
05-20-2012, 05:09 AM
I have a strong lead on a pro fiberglass restoration guy to do a seminar on classic fiberglass. The show still needs the Donzi Boat Brand and its history speaker.

seabuddy
05-23-2012, 06:48 AM
The pro fiberglass guy is set. I have an amateur fiberglass guy, too. I am still working on a classic fiberglass guy to tell the story of fiberglass and classic boats that is coming in from MN. That guy, unfortunately, is not going to talk about the history of the Donzi brand. He likes a different boat company.

No one interested on any of these topics from a Donzi point-of-view that anyone can think of that can give a talk?

Got to tell you, it feels good that this show has such visabilty that someone from that far away is coming.

seabuddy
05-23-2012, 10:37 AM
link to show.... http://www.chesapeakebayacbs.org/

seabuddy
05-24-2012, 02:03 AM
more info...

http://www.chesapeakebayacbs.org/annual-boat-festival/boat-show-information.html

seabuddy
05-24-2012, 06:56 PM
part of the preparation for the Chris Craft Silver Arrow classic boat reunion, June 15-16-17, 2012 Chuck Warner wowed the crowd at St. Michaels with the restored SA-19-066. This beauty was restored by and is still owned by Dick Hickman. Chuck was sizing up and developing the special layout of the dozen or so Silver Arrows expected to gather for the extensive Silver Arrow reunion, show, and seminars that is a show within this year’s 25th Antique and classic Boat Festival.
While he was using the classic 1959 Murphy’s Law for spacing and sizing up of all the boats planning to attend, the visitors to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum would not leave this 1950s themed high-styled runabout alone. The crowd was continuous in asking questions about antique and classic boats, early fiberglass boats, this boat’s history, the background about the design (including the fins), Chris Craft boats, and was it a molded fiberglass or a fiberglass covered over wood design. (Chuck says it is both, depending on where you look).
part of the preparation for the Chris Craft Silver Arrow classic boat reunion, June 15-16-17, 2012 Chuck Warner wowed the crowd at St. Michaels with the restored SA-19-066. This beauty was restored by and is still owned by Dick Hickman. Chuck was sizing up and developing the special layout of the dozen or so Silver Arrows expected to gather for the extensive Silver Arrow reunion, show, and seminars that is a show within this year’s 25th Antique and classic Boat Festival.
While he was using the classic 1959 Murphy’s Law for spacing and sizing up of all the boats planning to attend, the visitors to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum would not leave this 1950s themed high-styled runabout alone. The crowd was continuous in asking questions about antique and classic boats, early fiberglass boats, this boat’s history, the background about the design (including the fins), Chris Craft boats, and was it a molded fiberglass or a fiberglass covered over wood design. (Chuck says it is both, depending on where you look).

seabuddy
05-25-2012, 06:18 PM
This boat is known for its tail fins. They remind almost everyone, including me, of a Chevy tail fin. But the styling of this boat was done by a designer that worked for the plymouth car company.

f_inscreenname
05-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Keeping the thread alive. Good work.
:)

seabuddy
05-26-2012, 04:01 PM
A Wellcraft Nova won best fiberglass one year. I am pretty sure that that boat is not coming this year.

I wonder who will be judged best fiberglass this year?

(note: not all boats at the show are judged. A boat owner has to indicate that he wants his boat judged.)

f_inscreenname
05-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Mine will be judged good or bad. And I saw that. One of the reasons I had to bring the r/b. Making up story boards now. Have to get out and start getting it ready Mon or Tues.

seabuddy
05-27-2012, 02:07 AM
If you want the boat judged at the show, make sure that Dom knows it and makes sure the right boxes are checked off on your registration. Please know that I have nothing to do with the judging.

f_inscreenname
05-27-2012, 11:28 AM
According to Dom everything is right so we will see (and a lot of other people will also).

seabuddy
05-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Great to hear that.

seabuddy
05-28-2012, 09:55 AM

f_inscreenname
05-28-2012, 11:44 AM
I want one. :yes:

seabuddy
05-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Thinking about the "Best Race Boat", or the" Best Fiberglass", or?

seabuddy
05-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Besides the Best Fiberglass and the Best Race Boat, if there are 5 or more Nova registered to be judged then there also will be a "Best Nova" at the St. Michaels Festival Classic Boat Show over June 15,16, and 17, 2012. The best day for activities is Saturday but the Awards are handed out at the Bar-Q-Que lunch under the the food tent on Sunday.

Same thing for Donzi. If 5 or more want to be judged then there will be a "Best Donzi" award.

The thought is that if there are 5 or more of a brand to be judged, then there should be an Award for those boats, plus having them in contention for other awards.

This show gives out great Awards, many of them, and makes a big deal out of them as the Sunday Lunch is all about who are the award winners and the fun of having a great classic boat.

seabuddy
05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
The Festival has built a great reputation because of it's awards.

bertsboat
05-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Going up for this with my friends from Pittsburgh. They will be bringing their beautiful 1947 Chris Craft 25' express (RED AND WHITE) named Eulipion. The 14' Baby Donzi will be there too. All dressed in red.

f_inscreenname
05-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Hell I was hoping for the backyard one. I don't even have a garage.:kingme:

seabuddy
05-30-2012, 08:29 AM
What is the 14' Baby Donzi powered with?

bertsboat
05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
140 HP Mercruiser

http://woodyboater.com/classic-boats/the-classic-boater-lifestyle-is-alive-and-well-in-bert-harris-and-his-donzi-baby

seabuddy
05-30-2012, 03:02 PM

photo credit: Woodyboater.com

This is the boat that you are taking to the 25th Annual Antique and Classic Boat festival in St. Michaels, MD over June 15,16,and 17, 2012?

photo credit: woodyboater.com who credits it there to another person

bertsboat
05-30-2012, 04:50 PM
That's correct.

seabuddy
06-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Your Donzi is a super boat! I love that foredeck shine. Glad that you are coming to the St. Michaels Festival in two weeks.

seabuddy
06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Did you ask for it to be judged?

seabuddy
06-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Are you going to the Award lunch on Sunday?

seabuddy
06-02-2012, 07:52 AM
You should register to have your boat judged, it is a showboat, imo. 25th Annual Antique and classic Boat Festival in St. Michaels, MD. on June 15,16,and 17 (Father's Day).

seabuddy
06-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Father's Day Sunday lunch, June 17th, 2012. Sunday Lunch for Father’s Day at the 25th Annual Antique and Classic Boat Festival coming up June 17, 2012, that is. It’s a fun time centered around Classic Boats with good food and all the entertainment activity that goes with the Classic Boat Awards.

Chief Judge Scott takes to the front of the tent and presences to all of us the winners after the meal.

This chapter is known for its awards. It is a hard task to score all the boats that have entered or asked to be judged.

This lunch is a check off on your registration. Make sure you do register for the Festival and do it early so a meal and a good place at a table is ready for you and your family.

XMETAL
06-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Im not saying others arent knowedgable on Donzis but if you want a Donzi guru Id suggest you call Dick Weaver.

seabuddy
06-03-2012, 07:11 AM
My contact infomation for this seminar speaker is brcwb@aol.com. Please have him email me. I am right up against the closing deadlines for the print publicity of the show, so it (Sunday AM ) needs to be with all due speed so we can put on this together or we just can not make it happen. One Seminar is already in being promoted on the club's web site...http://www.chesapeakebayacbs.org/

The Classic Boat Festival opens fully on Friday, June 15 and the seminars are all day Saturday (June 16)... plus the rest of the Show, and the Show is still ongoing plus the Awards Bar-B-Que lunch is on Sunday (June 17) Father's Day.

It is a 3 day show in it's 25th year. I am aware that there are other good Donzi Events on those dates and do not want to take away from them, but please note they that are different from the crowd that a broader based Classic Boat Show that has drawn big numbers in the past (like 10,000 folks) and it is my hope to promote the Donzi Brand to that wider group via some boats and this Seminar event.
It is always interesting to see who gets the People's Choice Award. Sometimes it is the boat, but I have seen display themes that have won the crowd for a boat.

Again, I want to thank this board for allowing me to get the word out on my goal.