PDA

View Full Version : Prochargers

craigdskilling
04-24-2012, 04:53 PM
I might have a good deal on a mi prochareger and was wondering if these put out good extra hp.my motor is a 400+hp 383.It comes with innercooler and carb box also pullies.would i have to change my 750 edl to fit this box.dont now much on these any advice well help if i do this.thanks craig.

Ed Donnelly
04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
If you go for it .. I have a killer blow through carb brand new....Ed

osur866
04-24-2012, 11:24 PM
On a 400-425 HP motor run 5-6psi of boost you could expect 575-600 HP hang on if ya do it things get interesting in the upper 80's to low 90's in an 18! Take your time, make sure you have good steering, beefing up the bilge and stringers would be a good idea as well.

pipnit
04-25-2012, 09:01 AM
A little off topic but not entirely. A really bad A&& car my friend built this past winter that has a BIG Pro-Charger. They are running at 36lbs of boost and dynoed it at 2255 HP. They were going to get more but the jets started to get sucked in to the motor. This is on 93 octane and the car is "street legal." This is a sub six seconds car.

craigdskilling
04-25-2012, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Are chargers hard on the motor.I don't run to hard,I just like having the power there when i need it.what should i be doing to get ready for this extra power.thanks craig

glashole
04-25-2012, 04:40 PM
start pricing props

silverghost
04-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Craig~

Any supercharger, or turbocharger, puts additional strain & load on an engine's lower rotating assembly ie: crankshaft , pistons, rods, and especially on the engine's main & rod bearings.
The higher the supercharger's boost~~~the higher the additional load on the engine's rotating assembly.

It also raises the engine's fuel consumption and adds an additional engine heat load because you are blowing an additional fuel & air mixture into the engine before the engine's actual compression stroke.

supercharger "blowers" also raise the engine's overall compression ratio and thus an engine's basic fuel octane needs.

You may then need to use more expensive, and sometimes hard to find, higher octane gasoline.

You may also have to add lower compression flat top pistons before actually adding a supercarger in many , but not all, cases.

My biggest complaint on superchargers & turbo/superchargers is the increased blower noise & and depending on the actual blower's drive type possibly added supercharger drive gear "whine".

A supercharger will shorten the engine's life span as compared to a normally asperated engine.

Many otherwise healthy marine engines were destroyed by adding a supercarger before adding better , more robust forged conneting rods, forged crankshafts, better pistons & better quality bearings & high volume oil pumps.
Some destroyed supercharged engines have actually been posted here on this very site !
Search for threads on them on this site.

All this said~~~ an aftermarker bolt-on supercharger kit still gives you the biggest bang for your bolt-on performance bucks $$$$ !

craigdskilling
04-26-2012, 02:58 PM
looks like its not going to happen thanks guy's.i dont now if i will now.I think i'll start by raising the blh then steering.but thanks guys hope everone has a good boating season.those that now of the muskokas are we going to try to get a run this year.