PDA

View Full Version : new batteries

gero1
04-18-2012, 11:26 AM
i bought some new batteries for the boat, would you put them on a 2 amp charge before you use them to get them to 100% they come from the factory at 80-85% i have heard alot of different stories about this

CHACHI
04-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I always charge my new batteries to 100% before I use them.

What could it hurt?

Ken

pipnit
04-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Yes, charge them up all the way before dropping them in the boat. Alternators aren't battery chargers, they're there to keep the batteries full, not to recharge them. The fastest way to smoke an alternator is to but in a dead battery. I know yours aren't dead but it's good practice to drop them in fully charged.

MOP
04-19-2012, 05:39 AM
We sell hundreds of batteries, we have never recommended charging them. One hard start sucks more juice out that any new battery comes with, how many have push started a car with a dead battery and simply drove away. If you smoke an alternator due to bringing a dead battery up it was on its way out anyway.

gero1
04-19-2012, 08:22 AM
all i have to do now is try to remember how to hook the wires back up...i forgot what i was supposed to remember

Pismo
04-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Once again, like what brand oil/filter you use, or whether you leave your gas tank full or empty for winter, or what brand fuel preserver you use, .....it makes absolutely no difference.

tnc110
04-19-2012, 09:29 PM
On a same but different note...just cause the battery is new doesn't mean it is good. The local napa sends back new batteries often because they aren't within spec. I needed a big truck battery and they only had one left in stock. They tested it before I took it and it wasn't up to snuff...they wouldnt sell it to me.

osur866
04-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Just replaced the battery that came in my boat from the factory a 7 year old Interstate, it was still good but after 7 years I didn't wanna be stranded someplace, I have literary beat the crap out of that battery with the ruff water and it was great, so I went back with the same make and size as before. Hoping it does as good as the original.
Now my wave runner needs a new battery almost very year, it has an appetite for batteries