PDA

View Full Version : mechanical fuel pump fitting

Bobby D
04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Marine fuel pump fuel in 3/8 NPT fitting, fuel out 3/8 inverted flair fitting correct?

gcarter
04-18-2012, 01:23 PM
I can't tell from the picture (and I do know the difference), so take a trip to the local hydraulic shop.

Bobby D
04-19-2012, 10:52 AM
George,
I do business with a shop that should be able to help me figure out what I need. It won’t be long now; goal is to complete wiring this weekend and set the motor back in the boat next week to take measurement for the built to fit risers.
Thanks,
Bob

maddad
04-20-2012, 10:28 AM
I think this is the same Holley pump Bobby, and if I recall, it's also NPT to the fitting you use to supply the carb.

Bobby D
04-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Mike,
Sure looks like the same fuel pump thanks for posting the picture.
Bob

silverghost
04-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Bob~

Most fuel pumps use a 3/8" male NPT pipe threaded 90* Weatherhead street "L" fitting to screw-in the pump's outlet with the other side of the 90* fitting having a female inverted flare for a matching flare tubing "nut".
Your steel, or copper fuel, line to your carb itself should have the actual male flare nuts flared on this tubing .
I like to double flare these flare nut units just like brake lines.

The other intake side of the fuel pump usually has a 3/8 ", or similar brass hose barb fitting for the marine fuel hose to push-on with two SS screw clamps.

There are also many other ways to do this with various other syle fittings & aircraft lines.

NAPA, or a any similar good auto supply store, can fix you up with the proper "Weatherhead " brand forged brass fuel line fittings.

Bobby D
04-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Brad,
Thanks for the reply and good explanation it helped me sort things out.
Bob

joseph m. hahnl
04-23-2012, 08:27 PM
You can convert the NPT to a flare with an adapter and use metal gas lines. They are simple hardware store items. The gas lines need to be coast gaurd approved for fire retardent for a specific amount of time. That is why it is best to use steel lines as they don't melt, and they go way beyond the requirement

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/thumb/get?bid=6hQRkmmN7EBfqA&bn=CC&fbid=7wIR63%2bClmj%2b0A&fbn=CC

AIRGRADY
04-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Question on the steel fuel lines and fuel with ethanol. Could rust/corrosion become an issue over time?

joseph m. hahnl
04-27-2012, 05:05 PM
I would think corrosion would be non existant. I think they are some what presurized all the time and oxygen isn't really present like in a half full gas tank. I haven't had any problems ,but stainless steel is always an option .