PDA

View Full Version : 22zx Trim indicators

Bartxfire
04-17-2012, 09:06 PM
My 22zx has these K-planes, but no trim indicators. What are your recommendations for indicators? Manufacturer? Electric vs. mecahnical?

ROADTOYS
04-18-2012, 08:13 AM
My 28ZX didn't come with them either, kind of strange, was it an option?

RedDog
04-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Once you get a feel for your boat you don't really need indicators. I can tell the position of mine just by how the boat rides. If the bow is down, the tabs are down. If the boat leans, 1 tab is down more than the other

RickSE
04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
K-Planes respond so quickly that you really want indicators. Mine came the same way w/o indicators. You can buy kit parts from several of the boat supply folks, Dana, Livorsi, etc. I'd suggest mechanical indicators for K-Planes. You'll need to figure out where and what type of mount you want for the indicators, horizontal or vertical orientation and the cable entry type. You'll need to determine your 33C cable length. Once this is done order the indicator kit, cables and the cable attachment kit for the K-Planes. I think it was one kit for the cable attachment that includes new lower cross pins and the transom mount pass through seals. You'll have to remove one of the big brass plugs (painted black) in each K-Plane mount and drill an access hole through the transom for the 33C cables. The cable goes through the access hole and the pass through seal screws into the plug hole to seal the cable access. Connect it all up and you're good to go. I think I bought all my stuff from Dana Marine.

Roadtoys, Yes, indicators were an option and didn't come standard if KPlanes were ordered.

Dr. David Fleming
04-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Bartxfire,

Not a lot of 22ZX came with the Merc K-plane - it is listed as an option in the catalogue and standard on the Daytona models.

I added the set to my 22ZX when I upgraded to the 502MAG MPI - definately a difference between the Merc and the Bennett - the do act very fast and trim is essential on this hull.

Donzi had no location for the usual Livorsi trim indicators on the 22ZX because the dash is so small. I mounted the Livorsi indicators horizontaly about where the exhaust cutout switch is located just ahead of the throttle. On the side of the cockpit. This works out pretty well as no other location is really available except for maybe in front of the speedo tach.

Clips and parts are all available in the Livorsi Kit and the 33C cable length is the only thing you have to establish.

Your 22XZ looks pretty nice how about sharing a few photos?

Bartxfire
04-24-2012, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice everyone. Here's a couple shots. It's a '97 with a fresh 605 horse 540. Running a 30 pitch and it's a handful without the tabs down a bit.

pipnit
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
RedDog i hear ya. My tabs are either up or down or I'm cruising and have to adjust for the situation according to water conditions, load, etc.
What are your thoughts on trim indicator for the drive? A major part of my decision in making a new dash plate to add an indicator. I feel like for trying to squeeze numers (who's counting? :) ) or just knowing where she likes to sit at any given RPM this can help.

Excuse any percieved thread jacking:sombrero:

pipnit
04-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Bart,

With my limited knowledge, I've always figured to tune the boat to run wide open with the tabs up. Maybe you should look at props as well? Just a thought.