PDA

View Full Version : New DONZI 22zx!

jrockin08
04-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Got our new 22zx after a couple years of looking! 350mag, with the Alpha drive. 219 hours. Super clean! Love it! Hopefully going out tomorrow for a little test run to learn the "step hull".

Any tips on the trimming, handling etc would be appreciated. Kinda read up on some things on here and other forums. Understand its a whole new way of driving a boat. Im new to the speed boat type also. Our last boat was a 255 Medallion cruiser that never got above 55.

I guess my biggest worry is the turning, as ive read a few horror stories on here about spinning! So help me out. Wheres the best place for the drive to be trimmed and the tabs?

Thanks everyone!

RockyS18
04-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Beautiful boat! I love the color and paint scheme. I can't help you with your questions though, I've never driven a 22ZX.

Morgan's Cloud
04-15-2012, 07:26 AM
I believe the rule of thumb is no high speed turns with negative (or even neutral, to be safe) trim .

Always posotive trim .

Ghost
04-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Congrats on the new boat! Looks like it is amazing shape.

Donzi LG
04-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Awesome boat!! Congrats. That looks just like one that was on Lake George, did you buy this boat in NY by any chance?

biggiefl
04-15-2012, 10:25 AM
From what I have read and how I drive a fast boat it is not really the trim that you need to be concerned with as most people do not make sharp turns at high speeds to begin with. The problem I read is when you NEED to make a sharp evassive turn one instinctually pulls the throttles back. This does 2 things effecting your turn. 1) It drops the bow quickly which raises the stern and hence a great chance of sliding out. 2) It removes the thrust from the props and now you only have your outdrive as a rudder and not a very large one to boot. I watched a show on high speed maneuvering with stepped hulls and they say to pull the throttles back briefly to get the boat to turn and then reapply the throttles to keep the stern planted. looks good on paper but I have never driven a stepped hull and in a panick situation who thinks that clearly?

jrockin08
04-15-2012, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

This boat was in Lake George a couple years ago when I originally started looking at 22zx's. It sold quickly to a guy on Connecticut, who I bought it from. He put 9 hours in two summers on it since it was in NY. I fell in love with the graphics 2 years ago and couldnt believe I found it again!

I did alot of research, asked alot of Q's before buying the step hull. Its going to be a learning process I guess. Just excited to get on the water. It was 75 today in West Michigan...almost went out, but not insured yet...might want that first!

RedDog
04-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Beautiful boat! I have the 22 Classic but have always liked the 22ZX a lot. Guess I wish I had both.

James SA
04-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Congrats ! Many hours of safe boating

Dr. David Fleming
04-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Jrockin,

Great looking boat! Love the paint! Definately got the wow factor of victory graphics.

I have put quite a bit of time on the 22ZX and always followed the rule about the positive trim. K-planes up or neutral and drive not tucked under - neutral or up a bit for max speed.

Have gotten the 22ZX airborne a time or two lands very level and smooth. Handling seemed squirly when over diagonal wakes at high speed where the hull starts a little chine walking - not a good feeling. Mostly a result of high speed. With your SBC you shouldn't get into an overspeed problem. Boat is a different animal under 65gps.

Never spun mine and it seems to give some warning that things don't feel right.

Lake St. Clair has a great deal of traffic including some really huge freighter wakes from marine shipping - I have been amazed how well the 22ZX handles these at speed when not expecting them. Of late some of the large private yachts with diesel power have been generating some substancial wakes that I need to take with bow up at a lower speed. When the lake really blows up you can ride the waves 30 - 40 mph at a slow cruise and stand at the wheel - runs them really easy with the bow high - makes fairly good time and is comfortable for the passengers. For its size the 22ZX really shines in some of these heavier water situations.