PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic has a slight leak.

biggiefl
04-13-2012, 02:16 PM
My '94 22 with 454 B1 has started a slight leak. When it sits overnight I get enough water in the bilge but not enough to allow the automatic bilge to kick on(8gallons?). It obviously is very slow. I already looked at the bellows & shift boot which were replace last July and they "look" fine. I am going to remove the drive and see if I have water in the bellows or gimble. If dry...where should I start looking?

MOP
04-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Before you pull the drive check the Trim & Tilt manifold at the bottom of the shield, that gasket may be leaking. Also check the inlet water hoses going to and from the sea pump, the try to feel around the Y pipe base where it bolts to the shield.

Phil

Planetwarmer
04-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I noticed some H2O coming in around the holes where the tabs are mounted. Keep that area in mind when your are out in the boat next time. I dont think a hose has enough pressure to force the water in.

gcarter
04-14-2012, 06:32 AM
The speedo pitot hoses are notorious for leaking.

MDonziM
04-14-2012, 08:05 AM
When my shift cable boot leaked a couple years ago you could see the water trickle in. Tough to tell if it was the bellows or the cable boot from the location of the leak.

LuauLounge
04-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Check the bilge drain plug flange. Mine did exactly the same thing.

biggiefl
04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
I am going to change the gear fluid anyway so no biggie pulling the drive. I thought it was the drain plug itself as I had a non tapered "spare" in there but that was not the case. I will check all mentioned above except for the rotten bolts as this boat is pristine in the corrosion department.

VetteLT193
04-16-2012, 03:12 PM
it's already been said but the trim tabs can have a slow leak that is hard to detect. And it is an easy job if you have an extra set of hands. probably takes an hour max to loosen them and fill with your favorite sealant and re-bolt. Worth the peace of mind alone.

Does your boat have thru hull only or Quick and Quiet?

on thru hull only is the cap that seals off the exhaust is prone to corrosion.

On QQ boats... anything related to the Y pipe is worth checking.

glashole
04-16-2012, 05:02 PM
put pipe thread tape on the drain plug

Dr. David Fleming
04-16-2012, 09:57 PM
gcarter comment on the pitot tube - (speedometer tube) - can be worth looking into and a strange one. Put the boat in dry and the tube is empty no leak, come back in from running tube is full of water. let the boat sit and it can form a syphon pulling water over the transom and leaking a steady steam. The clamp on the tube is sometimes just a nylon pull tye that really doesn't seal - this is a there one minute gone the next leak. Surprised how much mine was putting in the bilge.

biggiefl
04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes I have the Q&Q exhaust and we will take a look at that. It is leaking too much for it to be a trim tab hole leak in my opinion. It does it at rest so it should be a bit easier to find when hull is dry inside initially. The first time I noticed it it rained really hard and I thought that was it.