PDA

View Full Version : what kind of spark plugs is everone using

craigdskilling
04-13-2012, 05:27 AM
I have a 383 with 400hp and when i asked what kind of plug to buy the engine builder said that its a gm and they like champion plugs.i asked is there ones that are better.so my Q is what is everbody running.there is such a wide range off plugs out there and do they make a difference.thanks craig.:checkered:

MOP
04-13-2012, 05:37 AM
MR43T in my 383, tried NGK one season which I condider a very good quality plug but they came out quite a bit dirtier that the 43's. Denso is another great plug, IMO plugs are simlar to props some work better in different applications. On any of our rigs a good hot coil is a must!

Phil

CHACHI
04-13-2012, 05:55 AM
I bought my 22 in 2006 and haven't even looked at the plugs. I know they are at least 6 years old.

When I finally changed the plugs in my Minx, I used NGK's.

Ken

mattyboy
04-13-2012, 06:18 AM
autolite

tnc110
04-13-2012, 06:43 AM
I saw a post somewhere over on oso and there was someone that actually dyno'd different plugs and NGK was the only one that made any more power than the rest. Don't fall for any of those crazy 4 arm and such plugs.

Morgan's Cloud
04-13-2012, 06:46 AM
NGK ... Can't get AC or Autolite out here .
Wouldn't run Champions in a lawnmower..

Pismo
04-13-2012, 07:18 AM
I always had good luck with Champions, but that was in the 70s and 80s. The original 43s in my brothers 1997 Sea Ray look as good as new. 43s or NGKs.

BUIZILLA
04-13-2012, 09:20 AM
if you know how to read spark plugs, buy the Denso's

if you don't, then it really doesn't matter what ya buy

boomr
04-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I've always had good luck with Denso's in any performance application.

zelatore
04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Normally I'd say if they're the right heat range and the engine is tuned reasonably well it won't make much difference what brand you run.

Back in the day when I was racing my Alfa I ran NGKs because the local shop was good at ordering exactly what I wanted. Most other people tried to tell me to run Bosch platinums (this was before there were all the current 'super deluxe double uranium plugs on the market) but I referred to them as the 'self fouling plug'. Then again, that car wasn't exactly stock and I might have set up the old L-jet injection all that well either.

Just last weekend I changed the (original) champion plugs on my 70K mile '05 dodge hemi to a set of Autolight platinums. Kinda runs like chit now; likes to stall in gear. Talked to a couple of Mopar techs on another forum and they all agreed - Ma Mopar don't like no autolights. So this weekend I'm putting another 16 base copper Champions back in it. Surprised me that a late model, basically stock engine would have that much difference between plugs but there it is.

Normally I'm an NGK fan fwiw - they're my 'go to' plug on most things.

BUIZILLA
04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
get the Mopar plugs from Mopar, you'll understand why if you don't...

osur866
04-13-2012, 03:50 PM
NGK R5671A-8's in my Whippled 383.

craigdskilling
04-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I was worried when i put this out there that this might have gone the way the oil debate goes but this is great.Now it looks like NGK are the way to go for the 383 but it is interesting how some engines like what they came with like the dodge.i also have a dodge and had the same problem,had to change them back to the origianl from dodge to pass the E test that we have to do here in ONTARIO.i have the basic champions in there now so if i change to NGK could i see any difference in performance or will it lust run better.it runs great now just whant the best that it can be at 82mlp.any little bit will help

gcarter
04-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Just for fun I ran some Denso Irridium plugs in the Minx. They performed very well. I was able to get the correct plugs on eBay for about $10.00/each. I think that was a good price and some good plugs.

By the way, does anyone here know the original application for Bosch's platinum plugs? (Bosch did invent them, back in the early '70's). I'm talking about a particular car and engine combination and for a particular activity.

Morgan's Cloud
04-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Back in the late 70's and through the 80's I had a (German) car that if you ran anything else , no matter how exactly cross matched , you could tell the difference if it wasn't Bosch plugs. I'd have never believed it if I hadn't seen it myself , so I can relate to the Mopar reference above.

zelatore
04-14-2012, 09:53 AM
get the Mopar plugs from Mopar, you'll understand why if you don't...

Stock stuff was actually Champion. I think I've still got one around so I'll double check the number on it. Original after 70K miles (yeah, I got a little lazy as they were due at 60k) and still looked pretty good when I pulled them. Also just passed smog a couple months ago with no problems.

George, I think the Bosh platinums were OEM on a lot of German/Euro stuff originally, but can't say for sure. I know a lot of guys in the Alfa community used to think the Bosh was the hot setup but I'm pretty sure that just came down to 'anything from Europe must be better'. I know I tried them in both my '81 Alfa 2.5 V6 (heavily mod'ed) and my '93 Ford Lightning (mostly stock) at the time and didn't have very good luck with either applicaiton. Haven't bought a set since. Of course, back in the mid 90's I never would have dreamed of paying $5 to $20 for a spark plug either.

Ed Donnelly
04-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Wasn't there...Isn't there a member here who works for Denso??

I recall him saying he had a hard time getting the plugs...Ed

gcarter
04-14-2012, 10:55 AM
"George, I think the Bosh platinums were OEM on a lot of German/Euro stuff originally, but can't say for sure. I know a lot of guys in the Alfa community used to think the Bosh was the hot setup but I'm pretty sure that just came down to 'anything from Europe must be better'. I know I tried them in both my '81 Alfa 2.5 V6 (heavily mod'ed) and my '93 Ford Lightning (mostly stock) at the time and didn't have very good luck with either applicaiton. Haven't bought a set since. Of course, back in the mid 90's I never would have dreamed of paying $5 to $20 for a spark plug either."

Don, Bosch first built platinum plugs for the 930 Porsche turbo race cars. Since it was impossible to change plugs w/o removing the engine, Bosch built ssome plugs that would last a whole season.

craigdskilling
04-15-2012, 07:09 AM
ASUR866 will that # for ngk work for my 383 that is carberated.

craigdskilling
04-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Can anyone give some spark plug # for a 5.7 block forNGK or any of the other better plugs.thanks craig .

Pismo
04-15-2012, 02:51 PM
"I was worried when i put this out there that this might have gone the way the oil debate goes but this is great.Now it looks like NGK are the way to go for the 383 but it is interesting how some engines like what they came with like the dodge.i also have a dodge and had the same problem,had to change them back to the origianl from dodge to pass the E test that we have to do here in ONTARIO.i have the basic champions in there now so if i change to NGK could i see any difference in performance or will it lust run better.it runs great now just whant the best that it can be at 82mlp.any little bit will help"

When it does not really matter is when you get the fierce debates, like what kind of oil you use. In 99% of engines it will never make any difference what oil you use so there is really no evidence and people just list everything they have used which did not lead to trouble, and that list is very long. Same with fuel additives/preservers. Another good meaningless debate is the full/empty gas tank for off season. Neither full nor empty creates any troubles so people swear that "their" method is the way to go.