PDA

View Full Version : This is not good!

gcarter
04-10-2012, 08:55 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/559947_10150698404743046_635293045_8974935_6793302 58_n.jpg

MOP
04-10-2012, 09:22 AM
That is what spooks me about cats, a buddy of mine blew over @ 125 in his Skater. He was laid up for about six weeks and now has a mono hull!

Jraysray
04-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Do you know the outcome or story?

gcarter
04-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Scott, it's on the Lake Cumberland Power Boat Club Facebook page.
Lots of comments, but no info.

Morgan's Cloud
04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Victory is based in the Middle East , I think you can make out 'Dubai' on the deck .
Maybe it was a recent crash over there ?

But echoing Phil , you couldn't give me an air entrapment hull . If I want to fly I'll take lessons and get a plane ..

Horrifyingly good photo though .

ps .. George .. I was afraid that when I opened this post there would be a 'reveal' that you had just discovered something terribly wrong with the TR22 project and the outcome was not going to be good ..

VetteLT193
04-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I think it's from a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeQloe8rJs

gcarter
04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the link Bob.
You could hear it going faster and faster until it blew over!!!!!!!!!
Roof caved in!
Not for me.

Tidbart
04-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Does look like Dubai. Complete with oil tanker in the background.

B

Tidbart
04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
If it is the correct accident, 12/11/2009, Dubai Gran Prix. Both racers died.

Carl C
04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
It's not the boat in the video. Compare what is visible of the white decal(s) at the bow. It still amazes me how they continue to race in off-shore while 2 men are drowning:mad:. Anyway, that pic looks like it might be photoshopped..

zelatore
04-10-2012, 03:23 PM
That is what spooks me about cats, a buddy of mine blew over @ 125 in his Skater. He was laid up for about six weeks and now has a mono hull!

Yup. Fastest I've been on the water was 110 in a 21' Skater clone with a Merc wacker on the back. I kept trimming up and it kept getting lighter and faster until I eventually said to myself 'gee, I wonder how light it will get before it blows over?' At that point, I decided I'd been fast enough...

Planetwarmer
04-10-2012, 08:58 PM
There was a whole fleet of 170 mph + cats on Grand Lake here in OK. A few of their friends were killed earlier this year down in Key West racing (Bad Moon Risin' - recently renamed Big Thunder Motorsports) and I cant remember the other crew. Most of the big cats are now gone from Grand Lake now.

Ive ridden in a few really fast boats, and they feel like they are about to blow over. The fastest boat I've ever driven was a 24 Skater with 2 300 Mercs. One thing about the cats is they are a very smooth at over 90.

boldts
04-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Looking at the water itself, it looks fairly flat. No big rollers or large waves. Now granted at 150+ it doesn't take much with an air entrapment hull. I would lean more to this happening maybe in a test session? The person handling the trim just went to far or a trim switch failure where it just kept trimming the boat up? The water spay at the right of the boat just stops? Even water spray in motion like the boat would continue to keep moving to the left. One other thought on the picture is the boat itself. It appears to be very high off the water. This is a 50 or more foot boat. I'm just saying in a blow-over, usually as the bow raises up, the transom then catches the water tripping the boat forward and back down. Unless it went off a rogue large wave and even then usually the transom will still catch that wave as continues going up. That is what killed so many in the past. The boat trips causing the bow to spear into the water. Before closed hatches, the rush of that water killing the occupants of the boat. That is where my comment also about the height seems a bit out of place. This picture with no large waves suggests that the boat gradually took off like an airplane wing would.

Just my thoughts from the little bit of offshore racing I've followed. Anyway you look at it, if your the occupants of that boat looking down at the water below you, your probably saying a lot of prayers at this point. It's going to hit hard when it comes down and have a bunch of forces trying to rip your body apart.

Hope it's just someones idea of a way to get hits on a website.

joseph m. hahnl
04-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Victory #77 apparently they are the most successful team in power boat racing.

I new they rubbed fenders in car racing. Never knew the rubbed gunnels in boat racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzNpOf3UxNs

f_inscreenname
04-11-2012, 11:57 PM
"I new they rubbed fenders in car racing. Never knew the rubbed gunnels in boat racing"

Kyle Busch would be looking for a sea wall to put them into for doing that. I would have to give them a shot back (on the same side, don't want to make more damage to fix on the other side).