PDA

View Full Version : ZX22 Fuel sending unit

lewessailor
04-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Hello folks, I have a 2000 22ZX and I need to change the fuel sending unit. The unit has 4 wire connections to it instead of 2 like I am used to seeing. There is red connected in the center, black ground but then there are 2green wires also connected to the base of top plate. One of the green wires is labeled with the number 15. Can anyone tell me who makes the sending unit and what are the green wires for?
Thanks,
Andrew

zelatore
04-02-2012, 05:55 AM
I've seen a few senders that have a separate 12v + power supply; can't remember who makes them though. They work differently than the standard floating arm and have a hollow tube that extends down into the tank then measure the pressure of the air trapped in the tube as the fluid level changes. Not sure if they even make that style for fuel though.

CHACHI
04-02-2012, 05:56 AM
I can't tell you who makes the unit, but the green wires are "bonding" wires. Think ground wires.

Ken

zelatore
04-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Interesting. Green would be the correct color for bonding of course, but I don't think I've ever seen a fuel sender bonded seperately from the tank. Are the green wires simply connected to the sender body?

Tidbart
04-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Sounds as if someone used the mounting screw to as a terminal for 2 bonding wires. I would just make sure that if you replace the sender that you put both back together under a screw. Don't use just one, the other is either bonding something else or is the main bond for the tank.

B

lewessailor
04-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes they are attached to one of the screws that holds the sender to the tank. Any thoughts? Andrew

zelatore
04-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Bonding, as explained above. They nailed it.