PDA

View Full Version : Ilmor v10 22 Classic

brwn234
04-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't think I need to say anything. Just take a look......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi-22-ILMOR-Edition-V-10-710-HP-Runs-over-100-Better-than-new-condition-/220985446046?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item3373c24e9e

ROADTOYS
04-01-2012, 07:42 PM
This is UNREAL!!!!:shocking:

Carl C
04-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Someone needs to catch up on the threads..... ;)

Just Say N20
04-01-2012, 09:37 PM
It has been discussed here.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?67240-Mr-X-s-Boat-is-on-ebay

brwn234
04-01-2012, 10:03 PM
I searched before I posted, didnt see anything

Carl C
04-02-2012, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

NP. It IS a beauty isn't it? I wish I could trade up but there is no way.

MOP
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Long standing members boat, more than well recognized, being sold for quite a bit under its true value! one day it will make it to Barret's!

jvcobra
04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Looks like a awesome boat but I would have a hard time spending that much money on a 22 footer.. There are much bigger boats with twins that can be had for the same amount. Hope its not priced out of the market.

Carl C
04-02-2012, 09:12 PM
"Looks like a awesome boat but I would have a hard time spending that much money on a 22 footer.. There are much bigger boats with twins that can be had for the same amount. Hope its not priced out of the market."

It's priced way under what it is worth and it's a lot more affordable to run than a big twin. Financing is a problem these days though. My bank doesn't do boats at all anymore.

roadtrip se
04-02-2012, 09:34 PM
this is not. I have had the twin engine, offshore boats. An HP Donzi Classic will run circles around any of them in terms of the challenge to drive and the fun-o-meter. It will out accelerate, a twin, too. Mine? Not quite at this level, but I wouldn't take two offshores in trade for it, as I have that much fun with it. It's a different paridigm for sure, but great any way, for those who try it, and want to challenge themselves. Anybody can go run an offshore, no comparison...

Donzi Vol
04-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Per Trip...+1

A Donzi Classic is a true driver's boat. As I heard at the boat dock once (from a mother to her small child), "Son, that boat is for nothing but fun."

I look forward to this 22 finding the right home.

Ghost
04-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Hmmmm. I have to think it isn't priced out of the market. The market for a 100+ mph 22 footer is VERY small. So, I don't think it matters that the price is over 80k. An informed person who wants anywhere near that performance is expecting to spend a lot either to build or buy it. And I don't think you could build this boat for the price--for what it is, it is a bargain. Built from the keel up for this purpose, with a completely custom lay-up.

That said, it is a very small market. And like anything in a small market, it could sell tomorrow or it could be a while. But I don't think it's priced out, it's just in a very exclusive slice of the boating world.

Plus, as was mentioned, I think the cost of operating and maintaining twins these days will actually increase the set of potential buyers. The overall cost of ownership is very good compared even to a twin boat that's 30 mph slower. And the more you use it, the cheaper it is relative to that competition. ("Can't afford to buy it?! You can't afford NOT to buy it." :) )

BUIZILLA
04-03-2012, 06:22 AM
as recently as a year ago, Donzi was pricing new 18's with puddle jumper engines for this money...

Greg Guimond
04-03-2012, 07:58 AM
I would be in contact with the big auction houses. That would be a perfect crowd for something so unique and a pretty cool addition to any heavy iron auction.

roadtrip se
04-03-2012, 09:09 AM
The automotive market hit the fan in 2008, and I am still catching up from it. Then there is this little cruiser thingy that I bought two seasons ago that ate up a bit of cash, but it was what we wanted and a great deal, so no regrets there. We all have our crosses to bear, but I am simply not sitting on this kind of discrentionary, disposable dough at this moment, or you would see the SE up for sale, like yesterday, and my butt on the way to Florida.

But for someone who really has the dough, take pause, and ask the next question... Do I have the means? And by "means", I mean the ability and experience to actually drive this boat safely? Ghost states that the market for a small, super high performance boat is very narrow. If you take this string of thought into account, his statment is more meaningful than you might think.

I just hope to see someone with the dough and the means show up at a rally with it. There are others in the community that can run with it, and it would be a thrill to see it in the pack, with someone behind the wheel that can actually drive it. From my view, the dough is beyond secondary in this equation.

jvcobra
04-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I had a 22 classic with enough power to run 90 mph. I sold it in favor of a 30 footer with twin 502 mags and wouldn't go back. Where I boat there was very little opportunity to run flat out without it feeling dangerous. The 30 just plows through albeit a little slower. Maybe because I've been there, done that if I had was spending that kind of money I would be looking bigger. It is probably perfect for having the baddest boat on the lake though is definately easier to tow around.

joseph m. hahnl
04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Here's some food for thought! Mr X, the infamous test driver for Donzi has driven virtualy every boat Donzi makes .Yes even the 43 ZR . HMMMMM? He chose to build this 22 classic over any other boat. That in itself says something about the Classic 22. Also lets not forget that this boat is specifically designed and reinforced for high speed. There is no other and there never will be a classic in any model that compares to this one.

Also any one who is worried about maintenace and running cost of a performance boat ,Mr X is selling his Donzi Dink too, which also looks to be in prestine condition:wink:

zelatore
04-03-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't think anybody can question the value of MrX's boat. The asking price is a lot of money - but it's a bargain compared to what it would take you to duplicate it. Anybody who’s knowledgeable about these boats will see that in a heartbeat.

And yes, the market for it will be small. That’s to be expected. It's a specialized item; perhaps the best of it's kind.

The only thing I could possibly say 'against' it would be that the boat is already done. For some, that may be a huge bonus - it's turn-key. On the other hand, given the select nature of the sort of person who's likely to be in the market for something like this, it's possibly a detriment as they may want the satisfaction of building it themselves or they may want things done slightly differently. For example, I'd love to have the boat but for me I'd rather see it done a bit more 'retro' as opposed to the modern look it has now. Not a big deal, and purely down to my personal taste. I might be in the minority, but since there is a limited group of potential buyers (and let's face it, I'm not one since my lottery numbers didn't hit) this could play a part in the sale.

Again, I’m not really saying anything against the boat, just making an observation. Any one of us would love to have her sitting in our driveway!

gcarter
04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Anyone notice the auction has ended????????

MOP
04-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Lets hope Ted is smiling and it got a good home.

Pismo
04-10-2012, 06:46 AM
2 offers 50 & 55k, looks like it did not sell.

gcarter
04-10-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm thinkin' it did sell.........

MOP
04-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Ah no more waiting with baited breath! Good luck on hte new project!

Phil

Carl C
04-10-2012, 11:34 AM
More riddles....

gcarter
04-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I heard a rumor from a friend that this boat did (or is in process of) changing hands.
No, I'm not saying who.

glashole
04-18-2012, 03:44 PM
instead of saying who

how about

is it possible the new owner would be at a rally at some point this year

roadtrip se
04-18-2012, 04:33 PM
There is a 50-50 chance...

gcarter
04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Maybe...but at this point, I don't think there's a lot of desire, just sayin'
We'll probably be waitin' for awhile, it's really up to the new owner, whoever it is.......

it's fun stirrin' the pot!

BUIZILLA
04-18-2012, 07:00 PM
brat's ... :banghead:

Just Say N20
04-18-2012, 10:01 PM
brat's ... :banghead:

Ditto.

Carl C
04-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Another secret...

mike o
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
George, Ill tell you where Geoo's boat is, if you tell me where Mr. X boat went......:kingme::kingme::kingme:

tylogans 22
04-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I wonder if there is any correlation to one of the leaders of the MID-WEST Donzi club 22 classic going up for a sale a while ago about the same time MR.X 22 went up for sale?

roadtrip se
04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
I talked to Mr. X last weekend, as he is a friend. It was interesting hearing him describe the three ring circus his ebay ad created. No, he doesn't want to trade a center console, a Harley, and a pet alpaca for the Ilmor boat, he wants cash. I can't blame him for wanting it to end.

I guess if "secrecy" is a synonym for "privacy" then we're good with how this opportunity to own a pretty cool boat is being described. If you want in on the secret, then reach out and make an offer, then you will be in the know. Time to step up. Or you can just let the new owner, if there is one, complete the transaction and decide, when and if, they wish to participate here.

Funny thing, the same principle kind of applies for the current owner of Mighty Mouse. All good. They will tell the world, when and if, they care to. In the mean time, it's pretty good urban legend and conspiracy material. Have you heard the "secret"?

roadtrip se
04-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Byron's new toy has wheels. And his beast is still available for someone who wants to run up front!

Marlin275
04-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Should just re-name this site -

Donzi Rumors

No Registry to speak of . . .

gcarter
04-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Todd is correct about "privacy" and, probably, someday, the new owner will emerge and have fun w/the rest of us, when he's ready

There was a rumor that Dodge built a number of "Tomahawk" Viper powered motorcycles.
Try to imagine a person w/o a history of competition riding, coming into ownership of one. If it were me, i wouldn't show up anywhere w/it anywhere, at least for awhile.
At least until I were comfortable w/it.

Marlin275
04-19-2012, 04:33 PM
that one is not a rumor . . .

gcarter
04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
You're correct, it was built, the rumor is , how many were built!!!!!

joseph m. hahnl
04-19-2012, 05:43 PM
well to whom ever!

http://static3.depositphotos.com/1007283/237/i/450/dep_2373842-Bottle-champagne-at-new-year-with-fireworks.jpg

osur866
04-20-2012, 12:07 AM
All I can say is I wish it was me!
How cool would it be to have a 90 mph 18 and a 100mph 22?
I can respect the new owners privacy if it sold all I can say is they have an awesome ride!!

CHACHI
04-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Can you call it a motorcycle with 4 wheels?

Ken

gcarter
04-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Ken, I think the old adage is true "There's nothing new under the sun" as Brough built a similar rig for a sidecar.
No, no Viper engine in '29, but it did use an Austin 4 cylinder car engine w/OEM transmission and drive that fed the rear axle BETWEEN the rear wheels.

OK, back on topic......

olredalert
04-20-2012, 08:18 AM
----I went to a Christmas party in the shop that built the Viper bikes. Talk about wild!!!.......Bill S

CHACHI
04-20-2012, 09:14 AM
If my memory serves me, the fuel tank is the front fender.

It is tight.

Ken

BUIZILLA
04-20-2012, 09:35 AM
back on topic.... :nilly:

if a sale is true to form, then sincere congrats to both the seller, and buyer..

IMO, this is the most influential, well thought out, and built, 22 Donzi in our timeline of life

osur866
04-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Jim, agreeged totally!!
Wish I was the lucky one that snatched it up!!!!!