PDA

View Full Version : possible stern and jack would it help

craigdskilling
03-31-2012, 07:51 PM
wondering if this can help my18 with a blackhawk drive.instead of raising the drive.someone on this site put the bug in my ear about this that it might help raise the x.thanks craig

MOP
03-31-2012, 09:03 PM
You may be onto a good idea, wonder if it was ever tried. Mr. X might have a handle on that. To get it to do its best the gear case must be just clear of the water flow.

craigdskilling
04-01-2012, 09:45 AM
I was thinking the same thing.how much would that exend the drive out you think.that would be alot less expensive than raising the x.your right that it would give the drive cean water MOP i didnt think of that.how much would a stern and jack sell for these days and does anyone have a good one for sale.thanks craig.:crossfing:

MOP
04-03-2012, 02:15 AM
I have been kicking around your idea and am now leaning more toward an extension box, got to thinking about how much extra strain a jack puts on a gimble. The other thing is when you go farther back you need to raise the prop shaft height even higher.

blackhawk
04-04-2012, 02:41 PM
MOP external steering is a must with the stern jack IMO. The longer "lever" puts much more stress on the gimbal ring. The advantage is this puts the prop closer to the surface, not deeper, when in positive trim which is the opposite of an extension box.

MOP
04-04-2012, 08:42 PM
blackhawk, Basically what I said, the box in my eyes would be much better all the way around. I guess I did not make my statement clear enough, with a box the you must raise the prop shaft even higher.

younger
04-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Craig get those 31's on and get some real rpm and gps #'s to work with. You are at a point that the external hyd. steering should be considered. As staited the further back the props are from the transom the higher you will have to raise the drive to get the desired resaults. The stern jack if purchased right would be an easy test to see what effects the raised x would give you. The extention box can run into some cash as would reglassing the transom and cutting higher hole. You are like me in that you probably have 7-8mph more with the higher x.

craigdskilling
04-06-2012, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

hey younger found one stern jack for sale with hyd steering with dual rams in mint shape for a great price cheaper than raising th x. let me know what u think.

younger
04-07-2012, 05:44 AM
I think if the price is right it awnsers your questions. Kills two birds one stone, you get hyd steering and the raised x.