PDA

View Full Version : Bennett Trim Indicator

Marvair
03-25-2012, 05:52 PM
I was looking for a new solenoid to fix my port tabs and stumbled on this.
Has anyone done this or tried out this kit? I have a 2" hole to use as the pos depth gauge has
never worked and would like a working trim indicator.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog.php?vID=196&cID=2

Marvin.

gcarter
03-25-2012, 06:15 PM
I installed one on the Minx and it worked very well.
There were a couple of issues w/the units being produced at that time, every time you started the boat and the power was turned on, the LEDS would default to a low level setting. This was good at night, I guess, but during the day, you had to reset the level to see them.
The other thing was the inserts (i.e., the sensors that are installed into the tops of the cylinders have red and green wiring harnesses to make wiring installation a bit easier, I guess. Well, they make your wiring look like a Christmas tree! I had to wrap the harnesses w/black spiral wrap to cover them.

Greg
03-25-2012, 06:32 PM
lI had a set for a year and then they crapped out. Bennet has excellent customer service. But I chose not to go there. Get to know your boat.

zelatore
03-25-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't have one myself, but I've installed several of them for customers and haven't had any complaints. Pretty easy installation, and the price is hard to beat. Not as accurate as true mechanical stuff, but certainly good enough for tabs and cheaper.

DickB
03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
I added these years ago and I like them.

One of the sending units crapped out on me some years ago. I emailed Bennett with the symptoms and they sent me a replacement no charge immediately.

More recently I noticed that the gauge face was delaminating a bit. I figured Bennett would take care of it, but I took the opportunity to convert the black color scheme to white: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?60723-Bennett-trim-tab-gauge-rework&highlight= I also added an external circuit to auto brighten the LEDs.