PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dolly

jdp_509
03-23-2012, 08:02 PM
What types of tire dolly's would be good for pushing a 22ZX around in a garage? I just purchased a home with a large garage but there is only one door right in the middle. There is plenty of room on one side to store my boat but I need a way to push it sideways.

Offset
03-24-2012, 07:11 AM
I purchased a set for my 22. I cannot recall the make but they seemed to be fairly heavy duty construction. They did not work terribly well on my smooth concrete floor. One collapsed when the boat/trailer was pushed sideways. In addition it took a tremendous amount of effort to move the boat on the dollies. I think in reality it was just too heavy for the casters.

Just a hint. If you do get a set when you get the trailer jacked up that before lowering the jack(s) make sure the dolly wheels are pointed in the direction you want to roll the trailer. If you have to change direction of the push use a long screwdriver and force all of the casters to turn in the right direction (mine had holes in them that made this easy). It is almost impossible to get the casters direction changed just by pushing. Sweep the floor to ensure that there is nothing to stop the movement of the casters.

Have cold beer at the ready, this is not an easy job!

jdp_509
03-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I have been looking at a lot of them and they all have small wheels. I can see where it would be difficult. Thanks for the info, I will keep searching. Maybe buy some and replace the smaller casters with bigger one.