PDA

View Full Version : Hm 351?

Tall Cotton
03-14-2012, 08:51 PM
As I begin the initial build of the GT500 I'm debating either staying with the original setup of the HM 351 and Volvo outdrive (neither of which I have) or going modern. HM says they can't build me an engine but they can rebuild one if I can get them an original. Anybody know where I can find one?

Tall Cotton
03-24-2012, 07:42 PM
TTT. Nobody? Nut-n-Honey?

Donzi Vol
03-24-2012, 11:47 PM
I've got one in my driveway, but it's currently in use...sorry.

If you're still bouncing back and forth on it, my personal opinion is to keep the 351 and volvo for that boat. Hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn for my luck, but I haven't had the first moments problem on my 351 motor itself. I've had issues with carb and alternator, but the motor has always been solid. In addition, you can't beat the Volvo drive. Not the fastest one out there, but pretty much bullet proof. Just my two cents.

Good luck with the search. Would love to see some pictures of the boat and your progress!

JimG
03-25-2012, 06:52 AM
+1 on what DV said. My 351 is one sweet motor and always draws attention.

I did not know HM would rebuild one. That would be cool...

DonziNUTS
03-25-2012, 07:40 AM
If interested I have a master rebuild kit for 351W? Everything from pistons, rings, cam, lifters etc. Brand new open maybe three times. I can send pics.
I also have a used 351 manifold with thermostat housing.

I can send pictures of all.

Thanks
Mike

mattyboy
03-25-2012, 09:05 AM
I would seriously consider going to a chevy, the power plant is not going to add or subtract that much to the original value for that boat. The chevy will give you more options at reasonable prices. But if you feel the need to go HM drop it can be done . The issue now is some of the parts like the water pump are hard to find.
I have a line on a 289 HM motor drop me a note if you interested.

JimG
03-26-2012, 05:55 AM
Matty, those water pumps are easy to find. I use the Johnson/Jabsco/Indmar type and they are usually in stock at numerous places on the net.

mattyboy
03-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Jim what part number???

I took my pump all over the place jabsco no longer makes it I had it rebuilt but could not get a new one

Members here also looked for me with the same results

The replacement model did not fit the water inlet was in the way of the bracket or the cover pattern didn't line up

If you have a part number and supplier let me know

Thanks

JimG
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Maybe my setup is a little different? I used this one last time...

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-F5B-9-10-24228-1/dp/B002JPZVWG

But have also used this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pumps-PCM-Pump-Assembly/dp/B0000AZ934/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1332790367&sr=1-4

Part numbers are F5b9 and F6b9...

mattyboy
03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Jim
Can you post up a picture of your setup. Do you use the hm water pump alt bracket setup still and the front hm motor mount water cross over?

Thanks that might help me if I have to improvise

mphatc
03-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Stay with the H&M set up only if you are doing a completely accurate to original "restoration" . If you are rebuilding the boat for the joy of using it, and it's style, go with a SB Chevy . . it will cost you much less than building a Ford marine engine. I do advise staying with the Volvo drive set up, it will never break. If you desire to run over 70 MPH then consider other options

Mario L.
C18 C32 Corsican with a 400 HP SBF / Bravo

nguber57
04-01-2012, 08:17 AM
You cant find or buy props for AQvolvo drives.use bravo stuff,you can get all the props you want...Love the volvo stuff but if cant get the right prop what good is it.

mattyboy
04-01-2012, 08:34 AM
the solas titan has proven to be a very good prop for the Volvo AQ drives

JimG
04-01-2012, 08:50 AM
No problem finding props. Heck I even know the guy who has the original Ultra molds. He will build you a new one...

Kirbyvv
04-01-2012, 09:05 AM
yup, the Solas Titan props work great with the volvo drives. Props were a problem, but not after Big Griz got Solas involved.

mattyboy
04-01-2012, 09:38 AM
my main concern would be the availabilty of the unique HM parts mainly the water system the pump the cross over and the front motor mount plate. the HM setups were nothing more than a marinized version of the motors available from ford at the time. the 289 was available in a few versions ranging from the base 210hp to the HIPO 271 hp motor. the 302 came in a 225 and 235 hp version the 351 in 69 and 70 was a 290 hp version then fell to 260hp . again this followed what was going on in the auto world at the time. in the early 70s the chevy small block 350 was marinized and became the standard as far as power, ranging from 260 hp up to 350 hp.

My point was also that someone who is interested in originality is probably " boat" educated enough to also want a donzi . the cobalt clones are neat old boats that have their place in the history books i just think their audience is a lot smaller than Donzi. So the value might be higher if the motor reflects more of a base performance than originality. so a warmed up chevy might be worth more than a more mild HM setup to a potential buyer.

another thing to consider would be who is going to do the work on it. to a buyer who has his work done by someone a newer chevy merc setup might be a selling point over an older ford volvo boat.

just some info to help you make up your mind. a 300 hp ford volvo setup is a very solid bullet proof setup won't set the world on fire but will run a very long time.

Tall Cotton
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the input. There are some very good points made. I'm not looking for "numbers matching rebuild" just a fun/unique project. Very true that there is much less of a following than Donzi so the extra $ would be unretrievable in value. An upgraded/modern repower is probably my best option. I did a little browsing and a SBC/Mercruiser (some still in the crate) is gonna run as much as the rebuild HM quoted me - and I don't even have a motor to give them. That and I have experience with my previous Mag 350 and current Black Scorpion so I'm familiar with the GM motors.
Nothing's happened since I got it on the lift a few months ago. Dang job keeps getting in the way!

Sam

mattyboy
04-03-2012, 03:08 PM
another thing to look at would be the merc racing re-man'd stuff they have some pretty nice motors and drive combos. I was told the re-man'd stuff doesn't need all the new pollution stuff the new motors have to have. the 383/400 stroker would push an 18 along quite nicely.

Tall Cotton
04-05-2012, 07:01 PM
And how might I locate these before mentioned engines/drives?

JimG
04-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Harbormaster has plenty at Victory. Give him a shout...