PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a boat lift in a very shallow area.

JayZ
03-13-2012, 12:28 PM
What do y'all think the minimum amout of water is to run a donzi classic 22 into a lifting cradle.

I am not allowed per HOA to put a boat house in so this will be either a four post or two post (fork lift style) boat lift.

The water gets really low in the winter when the North wind blows the water out into the bays. ...real low. The extreme being that you could walk out to the end of the dock. ...those days you just don't launch the boat or don't use the lift if you've trailer launched somewhere else.

Thinking about leaving a retrieving line out with a mushroom anchor and small mooring ball of sorts so that I can cut the engine before getting into the shallows grab the retrieving line and then pulling the boat into the lifting cradle/slings by a winch. ...to avoid fouling up the impeller.

Might do a floating jet dock type instead but not sure yet.

Jraysray
03-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Before you throw down a wad of cash think about it. If you have to walk a canoe out to the deeper water most of the year. Trying to drag your 22 through the pluff mud isn't going to be a good idea. What if you get stuck with it on the lift. Don't you have access to the comunity ramp?

Does anyone else have a lift with a boat equal to the specs of tealeomonster?

mattyboy
03-14-2012, 06:07 AM
I have helped a friend who has a 4 post lift for a 20 cig, not on a tidal body of water but the lake will change levels a foot or two over the season . we have had to move the lift out past the dock . we made a catwalk on the lift so you could get in to the boat. if the water level changes that much a lift is going to be a real pita. how would the hoa feel about a rail lift long enough to get out good water?

JimG
03-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Those days when the strong north winds blow the water out don't happen that often. And when they do, it's usually a good day to go to Boondoggles and drink beer by the fire...too COLD to go out boating!

I would build for the the normal tide levels. Even then, your boat should float, (and be able to idle in 12-18 inches of water with the drive lifted), enough to crawl into the shallow area. That mud is very silty and soft.

Find someone with an old outboard boat to tie up to your dock on an outgoing tide and blow the silt out a couple of times a year. We use to do it all the time in Moses Lake when I was a kid. The marinas silted in real bad, and it works suprisingly well...

BUIZILLA
03-14-2012, 06:36 AM
a 22 draws about 32", drive down, with a Bravo it then becomes a vacuum cleaner in silted water...... and THAT will ruin your day..

JimG
03-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Jim, what about drive up? In normal conditions it's probably not that shallow. We can have 2' to 4' tidal swings in the winter.

JayZ, talk to TMANN. He has his 22 in a canal off Clear Lake...

VetteLT193
03-14-2012, 09:20 AM
have you thought about a floating boat lift? this way you can move it out farther if need be?

Jraysray
03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Jim Were talking about the back end of Taylor lake, near Mud lake. I could be wrong but Jay expalined to me where he was.Doesn't take much to run the water out. It's all about the greenbacks. If its not to bad then spend it on a seasonal lift. The bag lift might be the way to go!

JimG
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I've been in those canals in my 26 footer. Not bad in normal tides. Cold front low tides are another story...

JayZ
03-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. The lot is acrross from Seabrook Island and El Lago on the NW side of Taylor Lake. We usually have a very pleasant SE breeze funneling up the cove. On those big cold front days with the extreme N winds we lose water. ...wouldn't even consider using the lift on those days let alone trying to navigate up into the cove.

On good days we have I'd guess about 3 feet of water at our dock but it does fluctuate. I've not got out there with a lead line and measured depth yet but probably need to. That is why I was thinking of leaving a retrieving line out. ...I imagine driving up to the lift cutting the engine far enough out that I don't pick up junk in the water pickup grab the retrieving line and pull or winch the boat up to the lift. I've read about some lifts that have rails of some sort that you drive up on for those low water days.

Attached is a picture of the lot pre-construction and then one from the upper balcony during construction to clarify where on Taylor Lake I am speaking. My dock is the one with the IKE bite where the boards are missing near the bulkhead.

My neighbor has a lift with an outboard driven boat ...they say the lift is always breaking.

I'd like to get out there and either dig some dirt or blow it out ...may have to find a way to do that.

Thanks again.7044570444

JimG
03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
JayZ, beautiful place! You will be fine, you are describing what every canal lot on the upper coast is like. If you have 3 feet under NORMAL conditions, you have no worries. Just don't expect to go boating after 20-30 mile north winds...:wink:

I would suggest getting in someone's outboard boat, with a good depthfinder that reads to 1.5 feet and crisscross the approach to your proposed lift. That will tell you what you need to know...

I'll offer my center console boat whenever you want to do it... I'll bring the beer...:yes:

JayZ
03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Jim,

Sounds good to me but if you provide the seismic vessel then I'm providing the beer!

Jraysray
03-15-2012, 02:05 PM
http://www.airdock.com/

Capevettes
03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
I just bought a cantileavar style boat lift for my 18 footer. I was told that the minimum water depth for this lift is 2 1/2 feet. If you have that the lift should work. The issue of your draft still remains.

JimG
03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Airdocks don't do well in salt. Several folks at SSH tried them. Lasted one season, tops...

JayZ
03-15-2012, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

...airdock would be great if it could hold up to the environment. A drive up jet dock is also on my list of things to look into.

it will probably be a season or so until I do anything s...just in the R&D stages right now.

Jraysray
03-15-2012, 07:25 PM
I looked at the jet dock as well but was wondering about it pushing your outdrive down while docking in a shallow area. Im sure something will work. Nice water access.

Ghost
03-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Maybe you need a day or two of big wind to empty the creek, and then you can hit it hard with a shovel.

Or you can skip the whole lift for some Live and Let Die action and just run it up into the yard. ;)

Jraysray
03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
I think there is a used one for sale by the boater resale shop. I just passed by there and saw one on a traiter