PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Help

krock66
03-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Can anyone help me with the install of a hot water heater in a 33zx Daytona??? I just need to know where Donzi mounted the hot water tank in the regular ZX and what model / gallon the heater is. Thanks. Also, I was reading the stuff about the AOTH XII. Would that be something I can bring the 24' Blackwidow to?? I'd be coming from upstate NY so that's a little ride and easier with the small boat.

roadtrip se
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't have a ZX, but most boat OEMs will install the water heater in the bilge, so it is easy to access for maintenance and to plumb to the water system. Should look like an aluminum box. Mine lives right in front of my engines in my Formula.

As for AOTH, we always have a contingent of Aronow and older/newer-style ZX boats at the run. Our auctioneer,
Fishin Sucks used to run a Black Widow before upgrading to a 28ZX, and had the uncanny ability to show up at Fun Run card stops before anyone else. His map reading skills might have been lacking...

Bring yours and have a great time!

zelatore
03-13-2012, 09:26 PM
I can't tell you where the heater was mounted in your boat, but yes - they are generally mounted in/near the engine room to simplify the water pull for the heat exchanger. There are plenty of options, but go with a S/S unit for certain. Living in a bilge area will rust/corrode anything less in no time.

Size wise, I'd probably think about 6 gallons or so for that boat. I doubt you'll be taking a lot of showers on-board. I have an 11 gal Seaward s/s unit on my 32 Carver, and I live on that boat for days at a time...and I'm fond of long hot showers in the morning! You'll be surprised how long those little water heaters can keep hot water flowing. I can easily get 15 minutes of HOT water out of mine. Of course, I do have it cranked up to 'scald' so I can meter it down with cold dock-side water. My unit is going on 10 years old now...no problems.

Iso-Therm also makes some nice units that aren't the usual 'box' shape. Might be a better fit depending on your installation, but they run twice the money. Or more.

FISHIN SUCKS
03-14-2012, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Daaaannnnnng, blame my nagigator (not my wife) on that one!!! A map is nothin more than a piece of paper with vericose veins to Miss Elizabeth:boggled::confused:. Besides, it was one card stop.....a minor technicality. Our old 24' Blackwidow was the last one to show up at AOTH ('08), would be nice to see another one make an appearance:yes:!

tom

Carl C
03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
"Can anyone help me with the install of a hot water heater in a 33zx Daytona???"

You don't heat hot water; You heat cold water. ;)

roadtrip se
03-15-2012, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter= knucklehead [ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Daaaannnnnng, blame my nagigator (not my wife) on that one!!! A map is nothin more than a piece of paper with vericose veins to Miss Elizabeth. Besides, it was one card stop.....a minor technicality. Our old 24' Blackwidow was the last one to show up at AOTH ('08), would be nice to see another one make an appearance!

tom }[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, AOTH, where people are lost and memories are made...

krock66
03-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Well, Just when I thought the Donzi Registry was used by the sharpest minds in the boating world I get you guys?? I was hoping for pics and tank make/model but I get the useful knowledge that I have to heat the "COLD" water. Also very helpful of course, but not exactly what I was hoping for. lol The plethora of information provided has clearly left me with a not so concise install guideline that makes me believe winging it on my own might be a better strategy.
As for the AOTH. The Mrs. has given me the appropriate approval for take off so we will be making the trip. It's about 15hrs from home so we are hoping "you all" will entertain us accordingly. Where do I sign up and which days are we actually going to be boating? I need to coordinate time off with travel days included. FYI The Blackwidow is for sale and is listed on Craigslist in Syracuse, NY. It won't disappoint you guys.
If anyone has an actual pic of the install location and plumbing for a 33zx COLD water heater throw it at me will you?? Thanks!!!!!

roadtrip se
03-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Just for the record, Fishin Sucks aka Tom is the lead entertainment and complaint department coordinator at AOTH, seriously, he really is. And a great friend of mine, so the abuse is only because he deserves it, and richly so. Yes, there are a few folks that show up at AOTH and manage to find a way not to have a good time, but fortunately, they are few and far between. We have people start arriving Wednesday and Thursday, with the organized runs occuring on Friday and Saturday. More info can be found here in the events section and our club web site at mwdonziclub.com.

If the Widow sells, bring the 33, we have had them at the rally before. There is another 33 owner rumbling about showing up.

PM me if you have additional questions and I look forward to meeting you.