PDA

View Full Version : instruments and gauges? What would you add?

JayZ
03-07-2012, 01:32 PM
In going through this little refit on the 22 I am going to do a bit of rewiring and will replace all the sending units for the gauges. ...considering replacing all the gauges (currently vdo) but will probalby wait and spend the money elsewhere for now.

I'm thinking of adding oil temperature and water pressure. Given the problems I found getting the impeller kit for the KC drive I'd like to watch water pressures. Any thoughts out there? What range of water pressure should I monitor? ...I suppose it doesn't really matter because all I really want is the delta.

Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to getting this thing back in the water. ...thinking it is going to turn out really, really nice.

Jay

gcarter
03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
A solution for your KC pump issue would be to add a transom pickup and a crank driven pump.
This setup delivers a great amount of water, and sometimes requires an inline relief valve before the raw water pump.
I would look for about 30-40 PSI water pressure.
I also added a fuel pressure gauge. I have a total of 12 including depth and hour meter.

JayZ
03-07-2012, 05:40 PM
A fuel pressure gauge makes a lot of sense. George, did you install it into the dash or simply the engine compartment?

How about the depth transducer? Where did you put that? I assume you used one of those types that can see through the hull rather than cutting a hole in the hull.

I've thought lots about the crank driven pump for the KC drive. I may go that route eventually.

gcarter
03-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Everything's in the dash. And, no, that's not the speedometer I used, it's just a space filler.

I started on the right and worked to the left concerning importance, for instance, oil pressure and engine temp are more important than fuel level and water pressure.
Yes, the depth gauge shoots through the hull. The puck is on the CL just in front of the engine transverse frame.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62517&stc=1&d=1301169531

Carl C
03-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I'd love to have a drive oil temp gauge. And don't forget the depth sounder.

zelatore
03-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Come on Carl, we know what you really want is a boost gauge! :yes:

gcarter
03-08-2012, 02:54 AM
"Come on Carl, we know what you really want is a boost gauge! :yes: "

Correct Don!
And about 10" in diameter! :)

CHACHI
03-08-2012, 06:14 AM
I added water pressure and oil temp to the stock gauge package.

Ken

Carl C
03-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Boost gauge will be awhile, if ever. :(

JayZ
03-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Where do y'all tap into for oil temp? on the cooler? upstream of the cooler? downstream?

How about water pressure? Where is a good place to do that?

Drive oil temp sounds good. I wouldn't have a clue where to pick that up.

CHACHI
03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Where do y'all tap into for oil temp? on the cooler? upstream of the cooler? downstream?

I tapped into the oil filter housing.

It grabs the temp of the oil before it flows thru the filter.70373

gcarter
03-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Oil temp: Pan
Water press: Drain of the oil cooler (mechanical gauge)
Livorsi makes a drive temp gauge and sender.
They aren't cheap, I seem to remember $350.00 or so. It (the thermocouple) screws into the side plug of the upper gear box. It also feeds through the gimbal housing so it's a semi major undertaking to install.

Planetwarmer
03-08-2012, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Does Livorsi offer anything cheap (money wise)?

gcarter
03-09-2012, 06:07 AM
I think they only offer the one.

CHACHI
03-09-2012, 06:26 AM
George, I agree with you on the placement of the oil temp sender, however when I installed my gauge, the pan was still attached to the motor which was still in the boat.

I figured any oil temp to monitor was better than none.

Ken

gcarter
03-09-2012, 10:26 AM
I lucked out on mine, as the pan has these wonderful ports on the P & S sides. and I incorporated the sender w/the dip stick.
You might also notice I added a Packard Weather Pack connector to it.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68270&d=1318707857

glashole
03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
if its in the budget go with mechanical indicators wherever possible

f_inscreenname
03-09-2012, 11:00 PM
No Amps gage? With twin batteries (twin motors is even worse) it takes a long time for the volts gage to show an issue and then it's usually to late. Saved my ass last year. 12 miles from home and saw the gage on 0. Time to go home. After getting there and pulling it up to the house I went to start it to flush it and had to use a jump charger to get it going. If not for the gage it would have made for a much worse day.