PDA

View Full Version : Stones...

zelatore
03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Kidney stones, actually.

If you've never had them, I'd recommend steering clear.

Right now, I'm supposed to be at a place up near Mt. Hood. But Saturday morning about 5:00 I woke up with a slightly upset stomach. Went to the head, and within 10 minutes I was on the floor doubled-over yelling for Michele to bring me some Vicoden.

I've done this once before, so I knew what it was.

BTW, Vicoden won't make a dent in kidney stone pain.

Off the the ER...with stops along the way to throw-up in a neighbor's yard. 2 hours later they finally get around to the IV drugs. Did I mention that injections/pills won't really do much?

Finally passed the little bastard today. But that was 2 days of hell I'm not keen to repeat.

Moral of this story: if you have a kidney stone, don't let the docs mess around with injections of morphine or percocet. Insist on the IV stuff ASAP!

jl1962
03-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Propofol.
AKA Mother's Milk.
Same stuff that killed Michael Jackson.
Ask for it by name.
Did me wonders when I dislocated my shoulder.

:angel:

CHACHI
03-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Don, glad to hear your are feeling better.

I have heard that cranberry juice is used to help prevent them.........is this an old wives tale.

Or seeing that I live in the Northeast, was this rumor propogated by the cranberry growers on Cape Cod?

Ken

Carl C
03-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Something doesn't seem right about having to tell the doctor what to do...

Ghost
03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Don, my sympathies for all your suffering. (Just icing on the cake that it happened on vacation--ugh.) And thanks for the good advice that I pray I will never need.

Just Say N20
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Don, Just read about your kidney stones. Yikes! :shocking:

I have never had them, but from everything I have ever heard, you have my sympathy.

Get rest, and recover quickly.

zelatore
03-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Might still be a small one left in there or maybe just some lingering damage from the bugger passing through as there's still a little pain, but nothing to worry about.

Made it up to Mt. Hood today. 600 miles in the Chevy with no pain meds, so it can't be too bad, right?

I'll see what the local brews look like tomorrow to see if I can soften the buggers up a little! ;)

handfulz28
03-13-2012, 09:22 PM
I let mine grow big enough to have the shockwave therapy...twice. The stone wasn't the worse thing, the stent being in there was....and getting that out after the fact.

WATER is the best thing according to my doc. And +100 on the morphine shot being a total waste. Straight to the dilaudid for me!!!

And Carl, as for telling the doctor what to do, it's just what you have to do sometimes these days. They don't want to prescribe the "hard stuff" for some stupid reason. I had a horrible fight to get them to shove their morphine shots and give me a real pain treatment.