PDA

View Full Version : Shifting OMC withengine off

hcastellon
03-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Someone tried to shift my Classic 18 OMC numerous times with the engine off. Now when i start the engine and shift nothing happends, like there is no connetion. What could be broken? where should i start looking? how bad is it to shift with the engine off?

Thank you

HDC

Ghost
03-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Assuming access to the guts behind/below the shift/throttle lever is a PITA, I'd think the easiest place to start looking was at the motorbox end of the shift cable. Next, at the shift/throttle end of the shift cable. Might be a little tricky to observe, depending on how you're doing it. I wouldn't count on it NOT going into gear the next time, just because it didn't the last time--stay safe. Engine off, if the shift lever moves easily, I'd think you have a decent chance of finding something loose in the linkage. I'm kinda picturing that one end of the cable sheathing isn't secured anymore. (And a little boy with a big grin, sitting in the driver's seat with the boat on the trailer, going "I'm driving the boat, I'm driving the boat.")

As for your 'how bad?' question, dunno whether you're more likely to damage or break loose something in the linkage, or in the drivetrain machinery proper. Hopefully the former, sure seems like it would be, but others around here can tell you more.

MOP
03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Start at the shift convertor, dis connect the cable going to the drive. Now check for proper shifter operation, if tha seems Ok you need to try shifting of the drive. This is bet done on the hose, reconnect the drive cable. Now remove the cable coming from the shifter, at idle try shifting the drive you should feel a fair amount of drag if it feels loose and smooth the cable end atthe drive may have pulled off. Post what you find, I am on vacation but try to keep up with your posts.

Phil

f_inscreenname
03-05-2012, 09:58 PM
It's not electric shift is it?