PDA

View Full Version : looking at a python 24 1994 any warnings

lee
02-24-2012, 11:14 AM
any advice what i should check wondering how hard to see stringers like boat just dont want to purchase a headache

JayZ
02-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Reach out to screen name Flying Tomato. He has one of these I think.

Morgan's Cloud
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I saw an 18 and the 24 at some boat show in my distant past.

Not saying there isn't anything to worry about , and this may not go down too well with some ,but IMO their 18 clone was a much more robustly built boat than our C18 .

If you go ahead with it , it would be nice to see some pics to refresh my memory too .. :biggrin.:

Ghost
02-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Lee, if you do a search for "python" at least 4 of Flying Tomato's threads come up in the first page of hits. I didn't go through them, but I seem to recall he discussed the good and bad he found after he bought it. Might be some help there. -Mike

EDIT: I dug up some discussion with Flying Tomato and, short version, he was very pleased with the build quality of the Python.

flying tomato
02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
I have a 1995 Python 24 ft. It originally had a carbed 454 Mag/B1. Boat would run about 63 with this set up. As far as build quality. I am very pleased with mine. I guess it has a lot to do with how the previous owner took care of it. The boat rides very well in the rough stuff, up to about 3.5 footers. I have since replaced the engine with more power and run the boat pretty hard and the hull is solid and fast. I did the math and I am running about 7% prop slip and that is very good for a v bottom boat. My goal was to have a boat that would run 80 mph when I bought the Python. I have surpassed my goal and am very happy with the boat. FYI - I have a 540 cid motor in it.

If you get it, keep us up to date on your experience. That's how the site works.

Flying Tomato

rchevelle71
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
If ya dont mind outboard, my 24 Pantera is for sale, basically the same hull, but still made today. Here is a vid of it running Biscayne bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_4V9zkVgQ

Out There
03-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I would get the hull checked by a surveyor for moisture and soundness. I have heard of a few with structural problems.
Many are running around with no problems. I would think it would be worth the expense to know.