PDA

View Full Version : considering adding a windshield to a 81 18c...$?

81 18 jack
02-18-2012, 02:07 PM
what should i expect to pay for adding a windshield, and wheres a good place to get one??

woobs
02-18-2012, 05:13 PM
I have been looking into the exact same thing and here's what I know...

1) OE windshields are un-available. Donzidirect sold the last several years ago.
2)There are almost no used windshields available....but there are some if you keep looking.
3) Taylor Made (the OE manufacturer of aluminum frame windshields) does not have any plans, jigs, samples etc...but they will make a custom reproduction estimating in the $2000, $2500 range.
4) I am currently in contact with the OE manufacturer of the stainless steel windshields that does have parts left over and may be able to assemble 2 or 3 more complete windshields. They are currently taking stock to see which parts must still be fabricated and then pricing the job.
5) there are other fabricators that are willing to fabricate a windshield (not OE) but you are best to find a local shop and cost accordingly.
6) there are also fiberglass windscreens that are available from several sources at varying prices.
7) I did find an aftermarket aluminum windscreen for $500 that had never been installed...but it was in a guys attic and he hasn't pulled it out yet (or called me to say it was available)

I will post here when I find out exactly what is going on with the stainless windshields with respects to availability, cost etc.70140

gcarter
02-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I suppose the most important question to ask yourself is why do you want a windshield on an 18?
They don't remove any wind off your face, it may make the wind worse, so it almost has to be for aesthetics.
There was an 18 from the keys w/a really effective windshield for sale a few years ago and it was met w/derision.
I would think if it were for aesthetics a solid fairing has the most snap.

Ghost
02-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Pretty awesome report on the status of what's available.

That said, all 3 classics look great with the no-windshield option, IMO.

Jraysray
02-18-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm glad to have it. Wind away no... Water away yes.... And I have ducked below it as well. I do like the look of both with and without.

81 18 jack
02-18-2012, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
wow!! thanks sean!! not a must have for me, but would consider if the price was right.i like both looks,with, or without, but "i" think it looks a bit more finished with.

LKSD
02-19-2012, 08:22 AM
I Make windshields, but that model must currently be brought here to my shop for me to do it. If that interests you you may contact me during the week.. ;) J

www.LakesideRestorations.com 570-639-2628