PDA

View Full Version : PA Truck Tags and Reg

brwn234
02-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I just moved to PA and this afternoon I went to register my truck and wife's Lexus. Lex went fine and cheap to register. I just had to pay $198 to register my truck with a 9200lb gross weight. What the F!? Thats rediculous. What's the deal with Truck tags? I never had them in VA. Is it an option to have them in PA? And what does towing the boat have to do with Truck tags? I was gonna call Penn DOT on Tue but it'll just make me pissed off all weekend long. Thanks for your help.

PS I'm driving a 05 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Long bed, 9200lb GVWR. Boat is a 22ZX on and alluminum trailer, so probably less than 5100lbs with full fuel on trailer.

silverghost
02-17-2012, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

My 1/2 ton (1500) 1991 Chevy 454 SS sport truck costs only $65. each year to register in Pennsylvania.
No special "Truck" registration.

zelatore
02-18-2012, 01:20 PM
I don't know how your state does it, but back in Indiana I used to have the option of going 'truck' or 'auto' on light duty tucks/vans. For example, I used to have a 1/2 ton Ford van back there but it didn't have seat belts (don't ask) so I paid the extra to register/plate it as a 'truck' because at that time they only required seat belt use in autos and not trucks.

I'm sure it's going to be based on GVWR. The 454SS would be well under the weight of a newer 1/2 ton truck like yours, so it's not coming up as a commercial vehicle. It's also older and would have a lower value assigned by the DMV which would usually lower the plate price.

But hey, from where I sit here in CA your $198 sounds pretty good. My '05 Dodge 1/2 ton was $324 last year.