PDA

View Full Version : 66 formula thunderbird junior

rculrich
02-16-2012, 05:03 PM
66 formula thunderbird jr. hull , solid, no rot (actually a complete boat but i would gut it and start over)
. no idea of the value. any thoughts?

glashole
02-16-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?66628-Formula-Jr-Found&highlight=formula+jr

silverghost
02-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Quite a few of these little Formuls Jr. boats have come out of the woodwork in the last few years.
They really don't sell for very much money; especially if un-restored.
And restoring one of these small boats usually turns out to be a "Labor of Love" as at the present time you would be hard pressed to get your restoration costs back out of the boat.

You will NOT make any money flipping a Formula Jr.

We really need some great photos of your boat to evaluate it.

What sort of outdrive does it have now?
Early Jrs had Eaton outdrives which are almost impossible to get any parts for today.
Later boats had Eaton/Interceptor drives which were basically early Volvo outdrives that were privately re-badged.

The early boats were inline six cylinders; and a few had 4 cylinder Volvos.
Later boats had Ford based Holman Moody, or Eaton Interceptor, V8 engines.

I really love these little Formula Jr. boats.

Please post a few photos of your Formula Jr.

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Brad that is really funny that you mentioned how many Jr's seem to be popping out of the woodwork considering i just ran across one for sale the other day .

rculrich
02-17-2012, 03:56 PM
still learnin how to negotiate this stuff.....interest locally would be great....would love to see this back on the water, severn? magothy? i bought it in 76? 77? maybe. it was a mess with a 4 cylinder cracked block...I don't profess to know a lot about boats, i just loved the lines.....had a 6 cylinder 231 buick junk yard motor put in it (rebuilt/restored), kept the outdrive it came with..volvo maybe?...originally orange hull, white deck, orange center stripe.......repainted with dark silver hull and deck, black bottom and black racing stripe with candy apple red metalflake roll and tuck interior, driver seat was from an old mg.....same upholstery scheme on it as well...got married, opened a business and parked the boat years ago.hasn't been wet in 20+ years......needs a new owner who will restore to former glory......any replies here appreciated...have to get my kid to help with pics..........don't know how to do it....if i had my way, i would gut it and re-power, new interior and paint....hull is perfectly sound.