PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fitment questons

JayZ
02-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Hey Folks,

I'm pulling out an OMC 454 (Donzi 22 classic) and replacing it with a 502 crate motor. I've pulled the OMC exhaust off (that was what caused the previous mill to seize up) At any rate,
I'm replacing the manifolds and risers with new take offs from a 496 Merc. ...mostly because I got them for a good deal and they look like new.

Here's the situation/ question. The risers sit about about 4" higher at the peak than the old OMC stuff did. They angle down towards the transom and when rubber coupler hits the tailpipes they are about 2" higher than the previous exhaust. ...this is all been mocked up on the garage floor and I haven't installed the engine into the boat yet.

I am curious if I'll be able to force the rubber hose down a bit to match up with the tailpipe or if maybe I need to build a little angled coupler and spice that into the rubber exhaust hose to get the angle right?

I could also glass up the transom and cut new holes but I'd rather not go there if possible. ...although that could concievably be cheaper and easier for me to do than getting a new exhaust set up.

Thanks,
Jay

MOP
02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Depending on how much room you have between the risers and the tip you may be able to use the silicon humps and glass tubing on the page below. I have run into the same issues on a couple of re-powers.

http://www.mesamarine.com/Trident.html

JayZ
02-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks MOP! That is what I needed. I suspect I can find something that will make it work.

gcarter
02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
I can't remember where, but I've seen thin wedges also.

JayZ
02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
I am also considering welding on a small angled piece of stainless tubing to the exhaust tip angling up to the rubber hose.