PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Replacement Project

patricke
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Today I decided it was time to start my windshield replacement project. It took longer than I originally thought as it is not a simple matter of unscrewing some screws and popping out the old crappy acrylic that was in there. I have an older Italian style stainless steel windshiled frame which is much heavier than its aluminum counterparts......also quite impressively built I must say after dismantling it.

First a shot of why I am doing this project. Acrylic had turned a funky purple color, or maybe that is what it came with, anyone know? I doubt it and I know that sometime between rolling off the assembly line to me buying it, someone had indeed replaced the plastic and did kind of a poor job with the seals around the plastic as well. You can also see areas of spider cracking that was getting pretty bad:
70038 70039

I ended up having to take the entire frame off the deck. Years of grime underneath lol! I also found a wire that had been cut that came through the rear base of the portside of the frame.

70040 70042

70041 <====== Any ideas on this wire folks? George did you encounter this on your TR?

Much to my chagrin I found out that the actual front of the windshield fram does nto come apart and that the acrylic has to be carefully bent and slid upwards, then down to get it slotted into the frame. Not such an easy task like the sides were. Sides were simply jiggle and pull apart exposing plastic. The fact that the seals seemed to have been squirted in in certain spots also made it more difficult to free the large front piece.

70046Windshield in three parts
70043 70044Seperating acrylic from frame

70048Pretty rough garage job on the past Acrylic cutting/install

70045Backing plate behind front windshield. Underneath exposes the craftsmanship of this frame.

70047Yay. Got piece out.

Off to plastic shop to get some better acrylic! Will update when I get parts back and re-assemble. I am going with a darker black that I think will match what I am more accustomed to seeing on the classics.

Also,I think this will be a good opportunity to really clean/buff those tough to get to spots of my dash now:wink:

RickR
02-11-2012, 02:06 PM
I like the darker acrylic also.
On the earlier 22C, the stainless windshield frame comes apart. A lot less work:yes:

The screw holes on my 1995 22C were not chamfered causing some gel coat cracks. I chamfered the holes with a Philips bit in a drill and sealed with Polysulfide when reinstalling.

Keep us posted :cool!:

silverghost
02-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Just a wild guess~

Could that mystery windshield frame wire be some sort of radio antenna for your AM/FM stereo ?

patricke
02-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Silverghost you nailed it. I found that the wire went to where the radio used to be so that is what that was at one point.

Rick-my holes appear to be chamfered so thats a bonus.

I am, however thinking about cutting some dense black padding of some sort to put between the frame and the glass when I screw it back into the deck.

Plastic shop is leaving me hanging so I do not have the new pieces for install yet. Will post when I start.

f_inscreenname
02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
You can get thick, dense weather stripping from HD. White or black.

patricke
02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Excellent I will check there thank you.

JayZ
02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
I am, however thinking about cutting some dense black padding of some sort to put between the frame and the glass when I screw it back into the deck.

...You could also try butyl tape.

BlakeSullivan
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
When I redid my 22c windshield I used a thin piece of rubber maybe 3-4 inches wide and about 1/8" thick I bought from Kemah hardware. The windshield fits nice and snug with no vibration or rattles, I think it was only 10 dollars. :yes:

patricke
02-14-2012, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Blake, how does it look as it sounds like the rubber may protrude out from underneath the frame.......Does it buckle and stick out anywhere?

BlakeSullivan
02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
I cut the rubber so that it fits flush. Just need a long straight edge and a razor.

JayZ
02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Just for another idea you can look here:
http://www.butyltape.org/

It makes a nice watertight seal. ...good on portlights or bedding down other hardware on boats. It is probably not that important that you have a watertight seal where the windshield meets the decks but it might be worth a look. ...could be pretty easy to just roll the tape on if the width is what you are looking for.

patricke
02-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Great ideas gents, I will let you know what I end up with when I get the frame back from the shop. Thanks!