PDA

View Full Version : bravo drive

Fishermanjm
01-30-2012, 07:45 AM
I finally took the drive off this past weekend, my back is still screamin at me,,, is there some sort of lift or support used for the bravo drives??? i couldn't get over the weight of it i have delt with alpha's before and didn't have any trouble with them. it is an awkward weight, it wanted to pull me over, i was very surprised how the shift cable removes from the piece inside the drive, i hope it goes back in just as easily. also removed the exhaust manifolds and risers, gettin ready to install the SM system,,, made the measurements for the new risers. The weather in RI was perfect for working outside this past weekend. pics will be comming soon on the progress.

gcarter
01-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Look on eBay, there's a lot of wheeled stands available for about $100.00.
You adjust the trailer jack to align the drive w/the stand, unbolt, and slide it onto the stand.
They are lifesavers.

Fishermanjm
01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
thanks george

Tidbart
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Here is a fairly inexpensive one. Don't know about the quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTDRIVE-STAND-MERCRUISER-ALPHA-BRAVO-OMC-DRIVESTAND-/290664165839?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item43acef31cf

Or, some have built there own out of metal or wood.

Bob

Bobby D
01-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Jim,
Weather was good in Pa. as well so I removed my engine and outdrive over the weekend and used the shop crane. My drive is a Volvo Penta SX and the procedure has you remove the dip stick from the upper gear housing and install a ½” lifting eye. Like the Bravo the SX is very heavy so the crane made it easy, when the drive goes back on I plan on using a motorcycle lift, I’m working on a holding fixture that can be attached to the lift and that way I will be able to roll it over, jack it up and move it in place by myself.
Bob

MOP
01-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Keep a good firm grip on the drive in roller stands, the drives make the whole thing pretty top heavy hit a crack in the concrete and you have your hands full!

Fishermanjm
01-30-2012, 08:12 PM
you got that right Phil,,, i am thinking about using a floor jack to install it, it just seems like a ton of weight sittin on the thin skegg. Do I have to remove the cable to re-install the drive? or does the cable end just slide back into that shoe and lock in when the hole thing slides back into the case?

Tidbart
01-31-2012, 06:43 AM
You don't need to do anything to the cable. The jaws of the receiver have be forward and open. Guide the cable end into the jaws as you move the drive forward. They will close automatically.

B

MOP
01-31-2012, 06:46 AM
What the shops here do is to disconnect the drive cable at the converter, this allows free movement and eliminates the possibility of kinking/ruining the cable. when the drive is just starting onto the studs put the tip into the claw and shove it into the drive, after it is bolted up then reattach inside. To get it on I use the trailer jack to get the right height, I put plywood under the skeg.