PDA

View Full Version : Where to put all these SPEAKERS????

tnc110
01-24-2012, 06:42 PM
I just bought a "boat load" of JL Audio speakers...(4) M10IB subs, (6) M7.7, (6) tweats. 3 JL amps...1 for the component and 2 for the subs. Now I have to decide how to place all the stuff!!!

Boat is a 25zx. For those who don't know the layout of the 25zx...there are 2 speaker holes in the cockpit below/beside the front seats and 2 in the cabin all the way forward on the bow wall facing rear ward. (they are 6.5", so they will have to be enlarged)

Things to consider:
-I don't necessarily have to use all the equipment listed above...I bought it as a package deal and am not against selling some of it or keeping it as back up.
-I want it to sound good on the beach when the bow is beached, if I have to pop the hatch that is fine.
-Possibility of keeping the cabin stock, running the factory speakers off the deck alone. (I think I will lose a lot of sound on the beach, so probably not going to go this route)
-Pretty well set on installing 2 of the subs under the rear seat facing forward in the corners, this way I dont have to cut into the storage area in the center of the seat to allow room for the drivers/magnets.
-In the cabin I have room down low to either install 1 sub facing the rear of the boat, or 2 subs facing each other towards the center of the boat (under the two seats near the entrance of the cabin)

So....how would you set this thing up???

Mckillop
01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
In my 25ZX I installed (2) Alpine Type-R free air subs and (2) Alpine 7" speakers in the rear seat kick panel facing forward and then (2) Alpine 6.5's in the stock speaker holes and the amps mounted on the fire wall. I found that to be the best place and the easiest install. I previously had (2) 15's in custom boxes in the back on the engine compartment, but that made everything rattle and sound ****ty.
Another good place I have though about would be in the cutty facing back towards the cockpit, or evern 2 subs facing each other port and starboard. Personally, I think you might have gone a little overboard with all those speakers,lol, but it will sound good!
Since you have so many speakers to install, you are going to want to buy a good Bosch Rotozip to cut all those holes.

Another idea would be to make a custom box for your mids and hang from the engine hatch like some of the Eliminators?

Dr. David Fleming
01-25-2012, 01:10 PM
tnc110,

Donzi's usual sound system selection was a Clarion radio package with two or four speakers.

I am not really that familiar with the 25ZX but I can tell you the 22ZX had only the 4 speaker option. Two were on the sides of the cockpit next to the drivers chairs. If you ordered the deluxe option they cut two additional holes with a hole saw in the sides of the rear cockpit and put in an additional two speakers. The wiring harness was already in the boat for this option even if the extra speakers were not ordered. I don't think Donzi offered that great of sound systems so most have to get creative with power amps etc.

If you search the Donzi boats for sale on the internet you will see photos with a variety of changes and original equipment speaker locations for ideas. Some owners have really gotten serious about this! I would not be surprised if the bigger Donzi's had a much better sound equipment option available.

zelatore
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
I'd suggest putting them on Craigslist, but then again I'm not a big fan of putting money into the stereo when I could use it to make the boat go faster....:wink:

(Sorry, back when I was younger I was into the big stereo thing and I have the hearing loss to prove it. Just not my thing now)

tnc110
01-25-2012, 06:03 PM
There is a set of speaker wires that run to the head unit that are not used, I assume they are for an optional speaker set, anyone know where they run?

I do like the idea of sticking the amps on the firewall...that will keep the cabin clean and a lot less $ on power wire!

Mckillop
01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

It makes for a clean install, and because of how deel the firewall is, you can mount them pretty high to keep them out of harms way

The Hedgehog
01-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Do NOT stick amps on the firewall! Can you say BOOM! Amps and engine compartments do not mix.

Your best bet is to hide them in the cabin. I ran them up high in the side compartment of the 27 and low in the front of the 26. I have had both 26ZX and 27ZX's (never a 25 though). I ran 12's facing forward in the 26 below the back seat with separates in the cockpit and 6.5's in the cuddy. I still needed more tweeter and mid range. A lot more. I had the bass amp dialed way back and it hit well. Bass will also carry well if you mount woofers in the cabin. I would say at least 2 sets of 6.5's in the cockpit if you want to jam.

I am in the process of dealing with the same situation now in the Fountain. I have some big power RMS amps laying around and a few ideas at this point.