PDA

View Full Version : Barrett-Jackson Auction

silverghost
01-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Well~
The big Barrett-Jackson Auction & three ring circus in Scottsdale Az is now over on Speed TV.

I watched on-and-off since Tuesday and watched all evening Friday & Saturday.
Dad & I actually attended three years ago along with attending two other auto auctions out in AZ at the same time.
If you are into great cars you should put these auctions on your "Bucket-List" .

What did You think of this year's auction ?

What did you think about the final selling prices ?

Which cars did you drool over ?

Which cars would you have liked to have bid-on ; or actually bought ?

I am into the "full Classics" so I would have liked to have bid on the Pierce~Arrow Silver Arrow , or the Duesenberg model "J" s, or the Packards.
But~
I also like bone stock original "Musclecars" ~~~
Especially the Big Block & Hemi cars.
And the Vettes ~

The Tucker went for crazy money for a car that does not really drive & ride very well in my opinion.
Heck before the "Tucker" movie brought them into the public's eye they were only selling for $40-45 thousand in Hemmings !

Just for fun let's hear your thoughts on this year's Big B-J Auction.

BUIZILLA
01-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Craig is going to make SURE Ron Pratt gets good money for anything he sells, since he seems to be Craig's #1 supporter of this craze called next-year-flipping

zelatore
01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Sitting in PHX airport right now on my way back from Sedona.

Only interesting 'car' I saw all weekend had Rubicon written on the hood and plenty of Arizona pin stripes on the sides. A few of them courtesy of me...

Plenty of folks around the airport dicussing the auctions though. Sounds like the usual American muscle was the feature again.

Ed Donnelly
01-22-2012, 08:50 PM
The 427 Vette Vert tickled my fancy.. but, wife says anything that costs triple what our house is worth is not in our budget

Morgan's Cloud
01-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Individually , the cars are just mind blowing but to me it's even more incredible seeing some of the private collections they come from . You've got to have a pretty serious interest and a ton of spare cash to have a convention centre sized building , climate controlled to house them !

I'm just annoyed that someone beat me to the yellow submarine .. :kingme:

mc donzi
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Watched it off and on as well. The one that blew me away was the '66(I think) Shelby GT 350 "barn find".. rusty under the hood and faded blue stripes. Think it went for $400K. Yowza!!

Who was the guy with all the pens in his pocket??? I know that they give you the pen when you sign the contract. He must have had 10 pens and all high dollar stuff. If not mistaken, he bought the Tucker for $2.6 million

Ghost
01-26-2012, 01:19 PM
I'd have bought this for $11,500. Even my wife VOLUNTEERED she'd have done so too, without my saying a word. Which never happens. (Either part, wiseasses.)

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?CFGRIDKEY=FL0112-120268

bertsboat
01-27-2012, 07:33 AM
There's 100 people buying millions of dollars of cars, The farmers that win one get their 60 seconds of fame. They look like they drove over in a horse drawn wagon.There's that guy in the front bidding up everything. There's those guys on the phone making it look good too. There may be a real sale once in a while and some guy that brought his car to see if he could pay off his credit card and them he is suckered into taking the reserve off and his car sells for what its really worth. You all know what I mean. Those cars can't possibly be worth what they look like they are selling for.
It's like our Donzi's. We invest tens of thousands of dollars just to find out that they are only worth thousands (loss of the tens part) .
And guns too. I have a Browning hi power all engraved from the factory. Book says it's worth $10,000. Go try to get $10,000. Never happen. Maybe a grand.
You thing it's real? Take your car there and sell it with no reserve then come back and let us know how you made out.
American picker is a fake as is American restoration. Their all there to make people watch. Thats what makes the world go around.
My take.
Thanks you

gmcars10
01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Sorry, not fake. For some reasons unknown...be it ego, fame or surplus cash... each car is sold. Barrett Jackson will not take a car with a reserve. ALL you see are no reserve auctions so they will sell to the highest bidder plus fees!

mc donzi
01-27-2012, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I agree with gmcars10 that it is all above board. However, some of the 5000 series cars on Saturday( the premier day) had reserves but ultimately sold(I'm guessing because the reserve was met). According to the 2012 Scottsdale car list 1946 Delahaye(Lot 5004.2) didnot sell because the reserve was not met The commentator said that it would probably sell once the owner and bidder got together to negotiate.

Still wunnerin' who the buyer with the shirt pocket full of pens is??

olredalert
01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
----Bert,,,Hope I dont tread on your feelings but you are wrong. Ive been at B/J every year for twenty some years. Sold cars there, but never bought. While there are plenty of disgruntled owners around when the gavel drops, The guy who made the last bid owns the car!!! I want to say that this is the first year in many years that B/J is taking select cars with a reserve attached. They have to as those guys will go to one of the other auctions in the area. All the other auctions will take reserves but will also sell a car with no reserve at a lowered amount back to the auction house. It takes a certain attitude to sell a car at no reserve. If you dont have it you will be disappointed.......Bill S

f_inscreenname
01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
The 427 Vette Vert tickled my fancy.. but, wife says anything that costs triple what our house is worth is not in our budget

That leads me to a side question.

Do you think she would have gave it a second or third look if it was a big diamond or other expensive rock?
It always amazes me when a guy says, "i would give 10 grand for that car or whatever" and the wife looks at him with the "are you crazy" look but when you show her a shinny rock that will do nothing more then sit on her finger or in a jewelry box they are all about it. It's just a rock, not like they are investing in diamonds so money wont be made on it (maybe by the kids after they are gone), it cant take you somewhere or show you a football game from some far away land. It's just a rock. I just don't understand.

hardcrab
01-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I'd like to know how many of these cars are repeat B/J sales, ........... there are only so many "pristine specimens" out there.

zelatore
01-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Bert, while I'll agree with you that the TV shows you mentioned are probably 'reality adjusted' I don't believe there's any hanky-panky going on with BJ's sales. There have been some very high profile auction companies who've gotten into trouble in recent years and I don't think BJ would be taking the risk.

On the other hand, there's 'reality' and there's 'Barret Jackson reality'. The BJ name, and that particular auction, have gained so much notoriety that it seems people go there just to see how much they can spend. I couldn't give you a straight figure (10%, 15%?) but I doubt you'd see the same numbers on the same cars if they were sold anywhere else.

Seems to me Craig and his crew are the true geniuses here. By holding their auction in the dead of winter when there's no other motorsports to fill hour after hour of TV, they got Speed to make them all TV stars, which in turn adds to the glamor of their event (how many average viewers even know there are other auctions going on at the same time? or other auctions at different times in different parts of the country/world?) which helps draw more people which helps draw more cars, which helps...well, you get the point. If they didn't have hours of TV coverage, it wouldn't be half the event it is and it wouldn't draw near the money for the cars.

Of course, I'm not a huge follower of the auto auction circuit so I could be wrong. But that's my opinion and I don't think I'm far off!

Ed Donnelly
01-28-2012, 11:12 AM

That leads me to a side question.

Do you think she would have gave it a second or third look if it was a big diamond or other expensive rock?
It always amazes me when a guy says, "i would give 10 grand for that car or whatever" and the wife looks at him with the "are you crazy" look but when you show her a shinny rock that will do nothing more then sit on her finger or in a jewelry box they are all about it. It's just a rock, not like they are investing in diamonds so money wont be made on it (maybe by the kids after they are gone), it cant take you somewhere or show you a football game from some far away land. It's just a rock. I just don't understand.

She wouldn't let me buy her a diamond ring
Wouldn't take any of my Moms diamonds
Was all for me getting the Criterion SS
Let me blow over $50,000 on my Vette last July

I love my wife...............Ed

Morgan's Cloud
01-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Oh wow , are we ever on the same page or what ?
Until recently I worked with a gal who is heavy into jewelry (she happens to be a family friend too)

One day she commented how wonderful bling was and how she saw nothing in boats or cars , etc.

I said , 'Glad , I can take a bunch of people out in the boat for the day , over and over again , and have a blast .. what does that diamond on your finger or the necklace around your throat do ? ' :anchor: