PDA

View Full Version : head gaskets

zelatore
01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
What's your favorite?

Plan is to stick a set of aluminum Edelbrock Marine Performer RPM heads on the stock 502 Mag block to go with about 5 lbs of boost from the procharger.

Anybody have a preferred head gasket for iron/aluminum under moderate boost?

farmer tx
01-18-2012, 11:06 PM
This is what I use for aluminium heads in a marine environment.

http://www.cometic.com/

CHACHI
01-19-2012, 06:10 AM
Cometic.

Ken

ITTLFLI
01-19-2012, 06:48 AM
cometic x3 :nilly:

zelatore
01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
So, uh, how do you guys feel about Cometic?

Thanks - I'll look into them and likely go that route.

Fixx - the block is bare right now, back from the machine shop. I'll start another thread later with the details of what I'm planning but after talking with my machinist and a few others around here I'm planning to run an SRP piston and ring. I actually thought of SRP as JE's 'econo' piston, but even JE recomended the SRP alloy for my light boost application when I spoke to them.

The budget also includes ARP head studs. I had planned to do them anyway, but last summer I had several head bolts pull on a fresh water cooled 454. That was a low-po stocker. It's a chance I'd rather not take on a performance moter!

I hadn't thought about going to the total seal rings, but not a bad idea.

I am however now questioning my head choice. I was flipping through the Summit catalog last nigt and noticed Brodix has the Race-Rite, BB 2-plus, and BB 2-xtra heads at $1915. The Edelbrock's are cheaper at $1799, but don't come with springs so that pretty much negates any savings.

So, as long as we're talking head gaskets...anybody want to chime in on the heads themselves?

zelatore
01-19-2012, 06:28 PM
BTW, just looking at the specs in the catalog and the Edelbrocks are 110cc on the oval port and 118cc on the rectangle.

farmer tx
01-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Don,If you buy assembled heads from anyone have your machine guy break them down and make sure everything is to spec. I got a set one time that had .100 overlength valve stems in them. After the second trashed rocker arm I ordered .100 over pushrods and cured the problem. They were GM performance heads.

zelatore
01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
They aren't exactly giving those AFR's away....

Carl C
01-20-2012, 03:06 PM
525 comes with cometic.