PDA

View Full Version : Encouragement to use the 'Ignore' function

Ghost
01-15-2012, 04:16 PM
In a thread of mourning and remembrance by friends, insulting the deceased strikes me as being about as abhorrent as it gets. Comparable to Westboro Baptist Church sociopathy. Truly inhuman.

Honest opinions that are critical of the concept of suicide may be debated, but what is not debatable is whether they should be kept to oneself in the presence of mourners. Failing that basic social grace, they belong in another thread, and should still be presented respectfully, probably at some other time. Interrupting the mourning to insult the dead is not even on the same planet with this.

I was and remain absolutely disgusted. I vented privately and did some digging, to try to make sure I was not missing some mitigating circumstance. And calmed down to make sure I was not off base in my initial reaction. After a few days of settling down, I don't think I was off base at all.

If this appalling misbehavior isn't UNIVERSALLY condemnable by all civilized people, what is?

And for the record, I grant plenty of license to those who are simply responding to condemn despicable behavior, as opposed to instigating by it. Much as one should grant license to the guy who was minding his own business but ends up shooting a burglar in the middle of the night. Commit such a vile offense and remain indignant and unapologetic? You deserve whatever you get.

I encourage everyone of like mind to take this moment to join me in updating our ignore lists, at the very least. If you are unfamiliar with this function, this link should make it easy:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist

vrod02
01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Ahhhh the dog bleap-er..... Sorry I miss it:wrench:

f_inscreenname
01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
This place ain't what it used to be, that's for sure. Someone needs to show some balls and step up or everyone else just needs to leave.

vrod02
01-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Hate to see so many heavy posters here inflamed, got a clue missed the drama.
Ghost you have always been a great poster with great thoughts.
The Poodle would have handled it....correctly .
Hope that does not insite just my .02

BUIZILLA
01-15-2012, 08:08 PM
the ignore room just gained a player...

Ed Donnelly
01-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Ghost; Very well worded, and with class...........Ed

Donzi Vol
01-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks, Ghost. He's officially on my ignore list now. I've never felt that he contributed much good to the site, and thankfully now I don't have to subject myself to what he does contribute :yes:

............................and ellipses are......apparently fun............to use.........for no good reason............
(sorry, grammar nazi here :))

roadtrip se
01-16-2012, 09:58 AM
I grew up around a family of doctors. My grandmother was one of the first women to earn a doctorate from Ohio State. She chose to go into the psychiatric field. As a kid, I never really understood what she did, but later in life, I did. She helped people recover and go on to have better lives. At her funeral, I got to meet a lot of people that she had helped, many of which were very dark cases at one point, that had come to pay their respects to my grandmother.

Suicide isn't an option, but when people need help, you just hope they have someone around them that can offer it. To characterize someones's death from suicide, especially on a rememberance thread, as a cop-out is one of the most ignorant things I have ever seen on this forum.

vrod02
01-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Better yet Ignore this site, nobody is at the wheel.....

The Hedgehog
01-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Well worded guys.

Many of us have lost friends that way. None of us know exactly what was going on in their heads.

f_inscreenname
01-17-2012, 12:25 PM
nobody is at the wheel.....

Why?