PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Bumblebee transformer edition Camaro SS

Conquistador_del_mar
01-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Can anyone shed some light on the new Camaros? Positives or negatives? My wife plans to buy one of the new 2012 Camaros in the yellow Bumblebee SS edition this week so I was trying to get more info on them. It sounds cool with the heads up display and rear camera in the rear view mirror along with a powerful engine and lots of other features, but I wouldn't want her to be disappointed if there are hidden problems. Bill

tjags
01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
I got one as a rental a few months back, but not the bumblebee edition. Lots of fun to drive in the open or low traffic areas. Extremely hard to see when in traffic and changing lanes. I liked it way better than the new Challenger.

I put about 800 mi on it in 3 days...

Pros: comfort, style, power, pickup, passing power
cons: blind spots, seats are very low to the floor

roadtrip se
01-15-2012, 12:23 PM
From a quality and warranty track record, the car is doing very well with few returns to the dealership. It also is holding resale very well.

It does get dinged in write-ups for its size and weight (BIG), blind spots, and some cheap interior pieces.

It is a good car with no reliability issues. If she isn't absolutely set on the Camaro, I would shop it against the Mustang and the Challenger. The Mustang is smaller and has a better quality interior. The Challenger has a better, less noisy ride.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-15-2012, 12:25 PM
I remember test driving a Dodge Stealth when they first came out. The blind spots and rear view visability and headroom were a deal breaker for me. I will try to get my wife to try one out before she pulls the trigger. The one she wants would be delivered so she would not be able to try it first. Thanks, Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
01-15-2012, 12:35 PM
From a quality and warranty track record, the car is doing very well with few returns to the dealership. It also is holding resale very well.

It does get dinged in write-ups for its size and weight (BIG), blind spots, and some cheap interior pieces.

It is a good car with no reliability issues. If she isn't absolutely set on the Camaro, I would shop it against the Mustang and the Challenger. The Mustang is smaller and has a better quality interior. The Challenger has a better, less noisy ride.

------------------------------------------------------------

In my wife's case, the real draw is the Bumblebee transformer aspect more than just the performance and comparisons to other cars. We live in Denison, TX where she went to high school where their mascot is the Yellow Jackets. I think it all comes into play for why she wants this car of her dreams. We just bought her into a business where she will be making more money than myself so she deserves whatever she wants by her hard work. I just don't want her to be disappointed. Thanks, Bill

biggiefl
01-15-2012, 12:44 PM
The car is VERY similar to the "new" GTO that was out in 04-06. I had one. It is a HEAVY car and not small like the Mustang. The blind spots are horrendous. They are fast and handle pretty well for their heft. If she drives ANY camaro she will get the feel of it no matter the color or decals. From what I have read over the years the best camaro is the ragtop as it eliminates the blind spots obviously. If the quality is there like it was with my Australian built GTO you will be very happy with it. The doors actually "clunked" like a European does. I personally would not want the V8 due to insurance and other things. The 6cyl(with a stick) is pretty much as fast as my 350hp GTO in o-60. That is pretty enticing for me and economy to boot. That being said I think I would have to go with the Stang. Personally though I am waiting for the "fluff" to wear off and my purchase will be a 6spd R/T Challenger because they just ooze badness. The Stang is a Stang. The Maro looks good from the front, hell from the rear. The Dodge is just badass, especially with the shaker hood and a pedestal rear wing and some retro graphics including the satin black hood. I had them under $31k in October for one as described but with the aquisition of the Donzi, it aint gonna happen any time soon. Would look good towing it though. Yes I towed with the GTO as well, had to get a hitch from Australia though.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-15-2012, 12:54 PM
If she can get used to the blinds spots and low seats (she is only 5' 4") it sounds like it would be a great car. I already told her that the insurance would probably be fairly high, but I will be paying it like always (we have great rates). The rear look should be a lot better with the true spoiler on the Bumblebee edition. Thanks, Bill

joseph m. hahnl
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Bill: This is the episode of Ultimate Factories the making of the Camaro.

http://www.camaro5.com/full-camaro-ultimate-factories-video-from-sheet-metal-to-end-of-the-line

Conquistador_del_mar
01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Joseph,
Wow! Thanks for the video. I will have to watch the rest of the 45 minute video later, but I really enjoyed watching the first part. The chassis is all galvanized steel - sounds great! Bill

woobs
01-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Pretty sure those Camaros are made right here in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.

Buy'em now, buy 'em often.

RickSE
01-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Man, they could have picked a better looking 67 for that story, or at least not one with those stupid looking dub wheels.

Sweet Cheekz
01-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Watched the whole video Very sweet

Parnell

RockyS18
01-15-2012, 11:17 PM
That Camaro is my dream car, it eats mustangs everyday.

"What is a Camaro? A vicious little animal that eats mustangs"

-old chevy ad

Conquistador_del_mar
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
I watched the entire video late last night and found it fairly intriguing. Back when I was getting my electronics engineering technology degree, I found robotics interesting and thought it would have been a good move to advance in the field of robotics as it seemed to be an inevitable huge developmental technology in the future. Obviously it would have been a smart move - :yes:

biggiefl
01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Camaros have not eaten a Mustang in a long while. Looks like with the new Shelby GT at 650hp and 200mph top end for $58k, the 580hp ZL1 is gonna run home with it's tail between its legs. The new base 5.0 vs the SS is the same way unfortunately. I was never a big Ford fan, especially after my 1989 Mustang GT.

zelatore
01-17-2012, 06:21 PM
That's OK Biggie, I'm no Chevy fan. I think the new Camero is a hugely over-weight pig.

But even I have to admit GM does know a thing or two about making an engine. Those LS motors are pretty sweet.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Deanna's yellow Bumblebee Camaro SS was delivered at her business today when I was there. She had tears in her eyes when she saw it. It is stunning in appearance and the features blow my mind. Backup view in the rear view mirror with warning sensors, 6 speed tranny with paddle shift, bluetooth controls through the stereo on the steering wheel to her Iphone, headsup display with 4 or 5 screen options (you can raise or lower it too), 4 wheel 4 piston Brembo brakes, 426HP with easy upgrades, awesome stereo, one lever telescoping/tilting wheel, remote start, HID lights, Pirelli Zero tires, Onstar, Sirius radio, 6 way power seats on both seats, dual heated seats, etc. The blind spots did not bother me with the wide rear view and right hand mirrors. The seat can be adjusted to your desired height with the 6 way. It drives like a dream with tons of creature comforts. Absolutely awesome car!! I am so happy for her. Her coworker has a 2010 which he took up to 160+MPH this morning, but I know Deanna will probably never top 90MPH. Bill

The Hedgehog
01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
That is an awesome looking car Bill! Looks like a lot of fun

Conquistador_del_mar
01-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks Bill,
We just got back from picking up her other car at work so I got to drive it at night. The headlights are awesome with a wide and very bright perfect pattern for night vision. I called it into my State Farm agent today - only $58/month with full coverage. By the way, State Farm offers financing now for only 2.99% if you set up a checking account with them and autodraft the payment so we will be switching over the note. Thought I would pass that along. Bill

CHACHI
01-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Bill, sounds like a sweet ride.

Good luck with it.

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks Ken. I forgot to mention that if you use State Farm financing the gap insurance comes free. The salesman tried to sell the gap insurance and extended 6 year/100,000 mile warranty - neither of which we took, thankfully. She will probably only drive the Camaro about 5000 miles/year since she has another car so the extended warranty would never have come into play.
Deanna can finally enjoy things for herself after all the years of sacrificing for her two girls. One of her saddest days was when she had to trade her Maxima when she could no longer afford the payments. She never thought she would be able to afford something like this so it is fun to see her excitement. Bill

Sweet Cheekz
01-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Bill
Always great to hear a fun story! Its my next car in black and topless Hopefully this summer

Parnell

Conquistador_del_mar
01-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Parnell,
Congratulations! You will love it. I wonder if you can get the true spoiler on the convertible if you wanted one? I personally think it really sets the car off. Deanna continues to learn more about the features. She just programmed my garage door into it this afternoon so she does not have to carrry the separate opener. The features are simply awesome on the Camaros! Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
01-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Tonight we learned another feature on the Camaro. We can get the vitals on the car from an Iphone or an Ipad like the 4 tire pressures, fuel level, mileage, miles left in the tank and oil life remaining along with being able to start it from the I devices all through the Onstar - I guess I was behind the times in technology, but I am blown away with these technologies. By the way, the tires come filled with nitrogen from the factory. We already learned to get directions sent to the car via Onstar with the directions on both the heads up and center display with voice. All too cool . Bill

Sweet Cheekz
01-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Bill
You should think about becoming a camaro salesman. Still gotta buy a Suburban first to tow boats so my Camaro isnt till this summer but after reading all this I am even more stoked.

Parnell

Conquistador_del_mar
01-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Deanna and I had a little fun late this afternoon stopping by Eisenhower's new statue here in Denison (he was born here). Her yellow Camaro and my Cobra look good together even though they are Chevy vs Ford products - lol. No racing was commited in this outing - :wink:. Bill

CHACHI
01-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Turn many heads?

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
01-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Apparently, not Eisenhower's.

Ghost
01-23-2012, 04:04 PM
<drool>

RickSE
01-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Nice, but you still could use one of these in the picture.:wink:69773

dsparis
01-24-2012, 08:47 AM
That was my first car.

VetteLT193
01-24-2012, 09:43 AM
want the cobra. badly. that is one hot car! I like the camaro too but would prefer a rag top :)

Conquistador_del_mar
01-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Rick,
That would be a sweet addition! I heard the new Camaros are 1.5 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile than the 396SS was - amazing if true.
Vette,
Thanks. The Cobra is truly awesome. It weighs half of what the Camaro does with 63HP more so you can imagine the acceleration. :nilly: Bill

joseph m. hahnl
01-24-2012, 04:50 PM
http://images.carsforsale.com/260482/BE24D4C0-0184-4C7A-B4C3-748BD3061209_1.jpg