PDA

View Full Version : Font

RedDog
01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
What is the font for the Donzi "DONZI" logo?

gcarter
01-13-2012, 06:59 AM
It's "New Times Roman", sort of.
The best thing to do is use Adobe Illustrator, make a text box w/the word "Donzi" in it, stretch it horizontally about 30%, or so, make the cross bar for the "Z", and paste it on.

I did this one for the Minx;

Brad Lyon
01-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Nice job George. Looks really close to me!

Ghost
01-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I think George has it, or very close. I think anything is going to need the stretch and the crossing of the 'Z.'

I'd have to get something I trusted as the "original" to make comparisons and judge for sure. Another font that's VERY similar is "Georgia." Mostly, its serifs are just slightly heavier. Also, I think the shading effect on lettering makes it harder to sort out. TNR with shading adds some heft (see gcarter's example above), where TNR without shading may look a little light. Georgia with shading is probably too heavy, but some might think Georgia without shading is about right.

I'd love to see a good "original" to know.

Lastly, my sense is the stretch is more than 30%. Maybe 50% or even higher, possibly depending on your software. Here are some examples just using MS Paint. If Adobe TNR stretched 30% yields the above, then I'd say either the base TNR font or the stretch math is substantially different from MS Paint. The 50% stretch example below looks closest, and could use a little more to match the 30% stretch of Adobe above.

maddad
01-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Someone once posted a huge(2mb+) file of the black on white logo and I got a copy of it. This is a VERY scaled down version.

woobs
01-13-2012, 09:07 PM
I don`t think mine is original...but I like it anyways...69712

Marlin275
01-14-2012, 05:13 PM
maddad wrote, "Someone once posted a huge(2mb+) file of the black on white logo and I got a copy of it. This is a VERY scaled down version."

I posted that logo and it is an original from Richard Weaver.
I photographed it and cleaned up the file.

RedDog wrote, "What is the font for the Donzi "DONZI" logo?

The Donzi logo is not a modern computer font.
It was created in 1964 when they were using Letterpress or Phototypesetting.

Here is an extended version which is close to the modern update.
Both old school and new.