PDA

View Full Version : Project minx interior redo mock try in pics

jeffdds
01-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey guys , I ve been writing into the forum since the summer when I bought this 1986 Minx from Joe Margo, I know some of you guys know Joe as well as this boat . Due to the bad late summer weather I was only able to use the boat about half dozen times and every t ime I did it was mechanically flawless , so I decided to redo the interior and some other cosmetic work in the off season . Joe was big on detail and he modified the dash but stopped short on a few other interior things I think because the boat needed more things mechanically than he thought when he bought it . So I freshened up his interior concept by replacing the stock leather steering wheel Joe had spray painted red with a Momo spargi , changed the rocker switches which had also been spray painted red with new carling illuminated ones . I added a compass with matching red angle bezel to the dash and upgraded the front speakers and added rear speakers and some courtesy lights . The original interior was white with red piping I reversed it and had some outdoor carpeting made in off white with red piping to offset the new interior color . I had the upholstery done at a shop in the town I work in north Jersey . Ben did a great job , every snap fit perfect on the back seat ... and check out the embroidery on the steering wheel cap ! THis is just the mock try in, I just got all the stuff today , i still have to detail the interior gelcoat and then I will be done so here are some pics of the evolution of the boat , thanks for all the help and advice all the way , the forum is great . Jeff

McGary911
01-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Start practicing now.

"Are you feet clean?"
"What's that on your feet?"
"Cheeze Puffs? Off the boat"
"You're paying the steam cleaning bill."

:wink: Just kidding, but it will be interesting to see how the white carpet holds up.

The interior looks great. I really like that hub cover. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before. Great idea.

jeffdds
01-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the comment but I have to ad that I DO HAVE a red carpet I bought from donzi direct since they were on sale this season... but the guy who was making the interior suggested it would be too much red and we decided to do this off white with the red piping , and he really made the price attractive so I couldn't resist . In my mind this is the "show" carpet , I will probably use the red more often , if any carpet at all . When I was younger one of my best friends bought a 22 classic the first year it came out . He bought it at the miami boat show , it was creme with a british racing green stripe and green interior . NO windscreen .I think it may have been one of the first ones made . I was on it 100 times , we used to water ski in little neck bay ,long island sound . From day one he never used the carpet which was an off white one like this I had made , in fact I didn't even know the boat had snap in carpeting until he installed it when he selling that boat . He told me he never used it just for that reason, he was afraid that the off white would get too dirty LOL . sometimes I wonder what happened to that boat, he sold it to a guy with a british accent in around 1986? , I was standing there when he made the transaction , it was a cool boat and drew a lot of attention . I wouldn't even know what a donzi is if it wasn't for that friend of mine . Anybody familiar with that boat ? It was in shelter bay marina , great neck , ny , for the first four or five seasons of its life ...

biggiefl
01-08-2012, 11:00 AM
My 1987 Baja had offwhite/ buff colored carpet from the factory and it did NOT snap in. Granted it was more of a shag so the dirt had somewhere to hide. It was pretty ratty when I sold her in 2005.

robpp
01-16-2012, 05:20 PM
wow this stuff looks great. specially the wheel center. why did you hide this down in this section. it should go in that main area. this is great.

best of luck with it all :shocking:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/robpp/donzi2.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/robpp/donzi1.jpg